1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a stength difference between these two or is it just extracter groove depth? The reason I'm asking is I'm going to buy some new brass to load in my .38 super dies for my SA Mil-Tech .38 super. I've been shooting both .38 super and 9x23 out of it. I don't know if I can run unfired 9x23 into my dies because of the case taper. So I'm wondering about these other two. I want a fast, flat shooting, hard hittihg load to use on running predators here on the farm, coyotes being the largest.

·
Registered
15,320 Posts
THOSE IN THE KNOW

R-P 38 Super +P cases are sufficiently strong for your need.
R-P.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply Weshoot2. I just want safe hispeed loads I've had trouble hitting coyotes while they are running with my .45.Trying to hold over and lead with a flashlight in one hand Even 185 JHP over 16.0gr. of Ramshot Enforcer. The .45 drops behind when they are running full tilt.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WESHOOT2, One other reason I'm interested in .38 comp or .38TJ is I think it would be easier to get that #%^& 10th round in my wilson mags:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I thought the TJ was a little thicker..but you might be right..it might only have the modified extractor groove..I found some TJ brass on our range and the primers had fallen out..

I have never had that with WIN 9x23 brass..

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks eerw, What bbl are you shooting 9x23 out of? I've noticed I don't get as good of accuracy from 9x23 as I do cor-bon 125gr. I imagine that is because the front of my .38 super chamber is larger so that 9x23 doesn't fit quite the same each time. I guess reloading the once fired 9x23 in my .38 super dies would keep the cases straightwalled and hopefully tighten the groups up some.:)

·
Registered
673 Posts
I would try Starline 38 super brass. I have used it for 6-7 years and have very good results with it. If you are using a 5 inch barrel with no holes as in a hybrid I would not worry about takinga 125g bullet up to 1400 FPS with the correct powder. If you don't have a ramped barrel this should be approached with caution but it might be doable. I have several 38 supers with mostly Shueman barrel and one with a Nowlan barrel. The Starline has worked in all of these guns and let me make major to older powder factor of 175 and that means I had to make 182 generally to be safe.

Good luck and watch out.
Ed

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks scalinghammer, My springfield has a ramped fully supported bbl. So It should be safe. What powder do you recommend?

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
1911roben...

my current guns have EGW barrels in them and they have been great...

when I shot super and in my current 9x23s I have had good luck with Viht 3n37 and 3n38..have also used WW540 and WAP with good luck..lots of folks using Vectan SP2 Viht n350 with good luck..couple of other powders out there too..just can;t think of them right now..most of these loads have been in IPSC open guns..ramped barrels 5" give or take 1/2inch..with no troubles loading 115s and 125 up to 1400-1500 fps with WIN small rifle primers.. as always work up slow with a chrono..these loads will get a 5" milspec rockin real good..but still a lot of fun..good luck. be safe.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks eerw, I'll see if I can find 3n37. I've got some 350 ,PowerPistol and ramshot enforcer.

·
Registered
673 Posts
SP2 is difficult to get. If you can find a bunch let me know.

3N38 is expensive and difficult to find at times. I use it because it works very well in a Schuemann Tribrid.

If you have a 5" unported barrel N350 will work well and N340 should work well.

Bluedot would work if you can get it to meter well enough. I have found it difficult to meter.

Ed Henry

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
scalinghammer, Not much chance of finding SP2 around here, I'll try what I have on hand first. Thanks for the advice. Weshoot2, Do you feel R-P is stonger than Starline? thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I've been shooting the .38 Super since the 70's, and I can tell you for sure that R-P brass is a distant 3rd behind Starline and Winchester. Not bad stuff, but the primer pockets will loosen up on the R-P brass long before it happens with the Starline/Win brass. Even PMC lasts longer.

If you're going to spend hard earned cash on new brass, then make sure to get the good stuff.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Walking point. I want strong brass to try to duplicate cor-bon loads.

·
Registered
673 Posts
To duplicate Corbon loads with almost any brass is not a major problem. To make major with a short barrel with holes in it becomes a monster at times. Ed

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Scalinghammer, My bbl. just has a hole at both ends. No skylights. I bought a LB. of 3n37,win primers, horn. 125gr jhp and speer G.D. 125gr. today so I think I'm set.:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts