1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evenin all. Anyone know what grips would have been original on a 1948 vintage colt 38 super? If you do, any idea where to locate a set? Thanks, Bill

·
Administrator
73,107 Posts
Probably surplus WW2 plastic Colt GI grips, but by then the commercial ones with the embossed horse logo in the middle would have started showing up as well once the surplus grips were used up.

·
Registered
702 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank the both of you for the information on the grips.
I have read in the past that the "Coltwood" grips may have a tendenacy to shrink if not kept screwed onto the 1911 frame. Think I'll try to locate some locally so I can try em out for fit.
Thanks again for the Quick response.........Bill

·
Premium Member
15,387 Posts
They shrink whether kept on the gun or not. What happens is, once you take them off, it might not be possible to get them back on. You might be able to find a good set somewhere. Since it is possible that Colt 'large-ring' WWII grips were used, that's the way I'd go.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have an original 1948 Colt Super 38, and the grips are the late WWII Colt "plastic" type.

Good Luck and Good Shooting,

Tommy

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Anyone know what grips would have been original on a 1948 vintage colt 38 super?
captn-tin, FWIW, here are some pics of the grips off of my 1948 Colt Super 38. I've seen the grips for sale on eBay and GunBroker at times. Just be patient and look because they show up from time to time. Good hunting!

·
Registered
47 Posts
All 1948 production should have late war, ribbed grips on them. Not until 1949 did Colt run out and start using the new Commercial "marble" grips with embossed logo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts