1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up my first .38 Super, a Colt Combat Commander. Does anyone have any mag recommendations? I've got both Wilson and Metalforms on hand and it's amazing the change in the feed angle in both mags as the round count changes.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I recently picked up my first .38 Super, a Colt Combat Commander. Does anyone have any mag recommendations? I've got both Wilson and Metalforms on hand and it's amazing the change in the feed angle in both mags as the round count changes.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
The Wilsons work perfectly in my Commander. If they work in yours, I wouldn't worry about the change in feed angle or anything else.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I picked up 2 mec-gar mags for my RIA .38. They work just fine, have put mostly 130G +p and 115g JHP +p through them with no problem.

Loading the 9th round is REAL tough compared to the first 8, that poor springs probably all crammed together in the bottom of the mag, but haven't had any issue's yet. (normally I load 5 at the range anyways so i don't burn through ammo as fast).

The guy at the gun store said 10mm would work also, and they DID look like they were built the same, anybody know?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have Wilsons, McCormick, and MecGars that I use in my CQB & Colt Cmdr. All work well. I have one Wilson 10 rd. mag that will not hold 10 rds so I use it as my Barney mag.

I also use the same mags in my RIA .38 Super converted to 9mm and they work well.

Dave

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks very much for all the responses.

Has anyone used the Tripp Cobramags in .38 Super?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Tripp magazines are now available for 38 Super. They are true 10 round magazines and Virgil says they are no longer than a Wilson. I can only fit 9 rounds in my Wilson 10 rounders. I've not tried the Tripps in my 38 Super, but I plan on ordering a few of them after the 1st.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,290 Posts
I have two factory Colt mags, and three Mec-Gars that appear, other than being blued instead of stainless, identical to the Colts. All have flat, dimpled metal followers. All five have worked perfectly. I tried a couple of McCormick 10-rounders, and they also worked perfectly in a very limited test.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts