658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a case of 38 Super range ammo.

3 cheapest contenders.....

Aguila 130 grain +P FMJ

Fiocchi 129 grain FMJ

Armscor 125 grain FMJ

All priced closely.

I have never fired Armscor ammo, but have shot plenty of Fiochhi and Aguila in other calibers.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
23,559 Posts
The only one of the three that I have any experience with.

Is the Armscor. It was cheap and functioned reliably in my Colt. It was loaded pretty mild, but should be fine for practice ammo. I did notice however, that while it was labeled as FMJ it was actually only plated.

As for the other two brands. I have used them in other calibers to good effect. And I really like the Aguila .22 rimfire. For practice ammo, I think that you would be well served by any of them.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I have shot the Aguila and Armscor in .38 Super at shorter distances...

the Armscor felt weak and unimpressive.

so I tried the Aguila and was pleasantly surprised that it appeared to be much better and more comparable to other decent .38 Super ammo. Closer to say... 130gr Remington, Magtech, and PMC... than to the Armscor.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I regularly shoot 38 Super Auto (both reloads and factory ammo), and of those three choices I like Aguila the best. It is very reliable, accurate, and burns clean. The Fiocchi ammo is excellent too. Just remember, every gun prefers different brands and bullet weights, even when comparing two exact brand guns side-by-side. Therefore, your experience or other forum members opinions (including mine) could be different than your experience. Thus, the Armscor ammo may shoot the best in your gun(s).

·
Registered
284 Posts
I like the Aguila and Fiocchi. Both have functioned 100% in my Colt, and are fine for range shooting. I also like PRVI Patizan, which can be found for around the same price. There is a LGS that keeps Aguila in stock, and I have easily found the other brands online. You can't get .38 Super at Wal Mart, but it's not that hard to find.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Both the Aguila and Fiocchi ammo is nice. I have recently started using Geco (Swiss, not Hungarian) which is rated as IPSC Major PF, and it is incredible. It is about $.40 a round though, so not exactly cheap ammo.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Both the Aguila and Fiocchi ammo is nice. I have recently started using Geco (Swiss, not Hungarian) which is rated as IPSC Major PF, and it is incredible. It is about $.40 a round though, so not exactly cheap ammo.
All the others are .37-.40 cents a round too, even if you buy a case. Never looked at the Geco because I figured it was some steel cased soviet stuff like most other unknown brands. I will have to check it out.

And thanks for all the other info guy's. :rock:

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I regularly shoot both the Armscor and the Fiocchi. I haven't had a problem with either.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I have used all three, though less Aguila than the others. Mostly I roll my own. I have had 100% functional reliability with them all and if you are just looking at paper punching I don't think there is much difference.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Geco is good quality Euro ammo for range use.

I have to second the others who say to start reloading your own. I've learned that my 38 Super barrel in my 9x19/38Super Switch barrel 1911 setup actually prefers the lighter 115gr loads (I suspect that it is a rechambered 9x19 barrel but it shoots so well with both the lighter and the heavier 130gr bullets that I doubt I'll investigate where my smith found the barrel to match up with my RIA 1911).

Bruce

·
Registered
677 Posts
Need a case of 38 Super range ammo.

3 cheapest contenders.....

Aguila 130 grain +P FMJ

Fiocchi 129 grain FMJ

Armscor 125 grain FMJ

All priced closely.

I have never fired Armscor ammo, but have shot plenty of Fiochhi and Aguila in other calibers.

Thoughts?
How complicated is it to convert it to shoot 9mm so you can save money and use 38 super as your carry ammo

1 - 20 of 26 Posts