1911Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting a 38 Super for some time now. I have a chance to pick up a Springfield 38 super. But I'm not sure if I want a Springfield or a Colt, Or ? Who else makes a good 38 Super? Any input would much appreciated. :)

· Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,408 Posts
I have a Colt Super, and had a Springfield prior to that. They are both good guns. I think Kimber, and perhaps STI have recently made single stack Supers, as well. Personally, I'd avoid the Philippine imports.
What are you going to do with the gun? Competition? Plinking?

· Registered
652 Posts
The 38s is a very pleasant round, even in the stouter loadings. The pistols are quite accurate these days too. The SA or the Colt are good choices. If you just want to try it out, the Rock Islands are ok. If you have the $, the better brands will serve a lifetime.

· Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,408 Posts
Lost Soul said:
Just some plinking. Also how did you like the 38? I 've never shoot one. What is the recoil like. Thanks
I bought mine specifically for IDPA competition, and it is set up to shoot light, "minor" loads. I shoot mostly 130-135gr bullets at about 1000fps, and they are easy on the gun and the ears. It would be a good gun for introducing someone to centerfire pistols. If I want more zip, I'd go with a bigger caliber, rather than load my Super hotter (but then, I have the luxury of owning bigger calibers :) ).

· Registered
247 Posts
I want a .38 Super myself. I had read ballistic data on them but everyone I knew who shoots said I would be wasting my time and money and to get a .45 only. Since then, .38 Super has enjoyed something of a rebirth at a time when many companies have stopped producing .38 Super pistols due to previous lack of interest. I guess it depends on where you live, but most Colt's I have seen are very overpriced, be they .45 or .38. On the otherhand, current Springers are grossly overpriced and nickel plated. Between the two, buy what you can first, if in good shape or new. Then buy the other maker's .38 Super when you can. Having more than one pistol in the same caliber, as you know, isn't a bad thing.

If you have the jack, go for one of Colt's obviously Latin-American-aimed .38 Super Special Editions in a polished nickel or stainless, with pearl or ivory grips. They're engraved in script with names like, "El Generalisimo", "El Jefe", etc. They may sound gaudy but, they're special editions so they'll always hold a higher premium than basic models. Just an idea. Or, if you have the patience, pick up a pre-war vintage 1911 in .38 Super.

· Registered
725 Posts
I don't think I would go with an old vinatge 38 Super unless ya wanted just for a collection peice, they were headspace differantly and are not very accuarate, that's kinda what gave folks abad taste for teh caliber when it was introduced, newer models are properly headspaced and very accuarte. You can get a 38 Super from about any maker, some maybe special order but they can be had. I have a Dan Wesson Custom Shop 1911 type in 38 Super. (You can see a picture of it in the two-tone thread floating around here or do a search for Phantom 38 in the Dan Wesson portion of this board.)
I also have a 45ACP Kimber Eclipse, my first 1911 style and then I picked up a Dan Wesson Razorback in 10mm and the my DW Phantom 38 in 38 Super, my next 1911 type will be something in 9mm (I know I can convert the 38 Super to shoot both but, that's the thing about 1911 type guns, they are a bit addictive.) :biglaugh:

· Registered
618 Posts
.38 Super

I have a .38 Super that I built for myself on a Rock River Arms frame and a Caspian slide. I did a 100% custom race gun that can be seen on my web site (millercustom seen in my signature below) on one of the pages. It is a hard chrome bottom end with a Birdsong Black T. upper. It sports an aimpoint scope and a 2 port compensator. I really need to get a better camera and take some detail photos of it to show off the attention to detail and my handywork.

It shoots a 1" group at 50 yards (I need to put the target from the ransom rest on the site to show the accuracy). This thing is scary at the plate range...the plates are not safe.

I usually run just some white box Winchester +p loads in it and set up some active targets (jugs of water) and shoot some silvertip hollowpoints for some fun.

If you are looking for a good factory pistol, check out the RRA builds. They chamber .38 super and you get quite a pistol for the money. Shop around and see what fits you best. Outside of the .45, the .38 Super is my next choice in caliber - until I give that 10mm a shot.

Bob

· Registered
789 Posts

Dr.Bob is right, try a RRA for the money is the way to go. I'm waiting for the right time to get mine, but for now I'll settle for my Kimber in .38 super and I have to say, it's a super caliber, it handles +P ammo like a dream and you won't experience any fatigue shooting .38 super+P either.

· Registered
46 Posts
I like the Super. Very high penetration with FMJ loads if that ever becomes important to you. Recoil is snappy but easier than the 45 due to the lighter bullets.

I've had a couple of Colt Supers (still have one) and recently bought a Rock Island in .38 Super to try it out.

I have to disagree with RickB about the Philippine-made guns. My RIA seems very decent for the price ($350 new). I have heard some folks complain about the RIAs but so far I'm happy with mine.

Colts are great. I have no doubt that the Springfield Armory product is also fine but I won't buy an SA for personal reasons.

· Registered
2,196 Posts
Sunglasses Alert!

Radicalcleric said:
I have to disagree with RickB about the Philippine-made guns. My RIA seems very decent for the price ($350 new). I have heard some folks complain about the RIAs but so far I'm happy with mine.

Me too. Mine is shweet!

I bought 5 boxes of the Aguila (Mexican) 38Super for it at the gun show Saturday. $9.95 a box is a good deal. :cool:

· Registered
873 Posts
I have an El Series Colt and it is really nice. It shoots great and Colt really puts custom shop work into these. I lucked into it from a Mexican Policeman who wanted a Sig. We figure he confiscated it from someone and got the paperwork from his agency. I am going to get a NRM Colt lightweight Commander in 38 Super. Use Chip Mc mags that are 10 rounders and you have a flat high cap. My El shoots the Corbon load into a single group at 20 meters from a sandbag.

· Registered
247 Posts
threefeathers said:
I lucked into it from a Mexican Policeman who wanted a Sig. We figure he confiscated it from someone and got the paperwork from his agency.
The paperwork means probably nothing. A letterhead can be had for the asking and means "nada". As for whether or not it was confiscated, who can say? Probably not. All the "El' Series Colts I have seen are in the $1000+ range and he wanted a Sig. He probably bought it, afterall Mexican cops are among the best money can buy. At any rate, the .38 Super is for many countries in Latin America (which allow private firearms), the most powerful cartridge they can have. Thus, the .38 Super is not at all uncommon around the Border/Frontera Area. They also sell briskly on this side for discreet "exportacion" South. Last I heard, and I've been away from the area for a few years now, non-Federal Police are not allowed to carry firearms at any time. Even certain departments of the Federales are not authorized. Occasionally, the Army there confiscates their guns, and the cops get pissed because they don't get reimbursed for them. But note that they don't get arrested/imprisoned or fined for it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.