1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need feedback on components

Who makes good brass? Comments on bullet weight/ performance etc.

I use a lot of Win231 for my 9mm, and .45, how is it for 38super?

For now mostly shooting paper (FMJ) with a box of defense loads (looking for recommendations/starting point to experiment with?) here and there to get acclimated to the caliber.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Starline brass (.38 super comp) is very good.
I use WAP (still have plenty).
Winchester 130 FMJ works very well for an all around ball load.
The sonic crack from a 1911 attracts a lot of attention at the indoor range.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Winchester or Starline brass is the best from what I've seen. Remington is OK, but the primer pockets will loosen up before Winchester or Starline.

While the Winchester 130 grain bullet is a good choice, my .38 Super loves almost any bullet intended for the .380, 9mm, or .38/.357. My latest barrel is .356, so of course it also likes .356 bullets. Currently I'm using a lot of Rainier bullets due to the low cost and good performance. Next I'll likely switch to Precision Delta FMJs since they've worked well in my .40 Limited gun.

I've loaded everything from screaming 88 JHPs at 1600+ FPS, to low velocity 158 grain SWCs. You can play forever with this caliber. My gun is semi-retired right now and is only used for the occasional IDPA match.

For defensive ammo, I suggest the Cor-Bon 125 grain HP load @ 1250 FPS (listed on the label and I verified it with my chrono).

W231 is what I used a lot of with this caliber, but it isn't the best if you're looking for max performance loads.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I use Winchester. .38TJ or Lapua .38 Super Comp may be better.

I use Winchester. .38TJ or Lapua .38 Super Comp may be better for some definitions of better if not cost perhaps value? Notice the gamer brass is mostly rimless or modified rim.

I'm not a fan of heavy or light bullets, from 115 to 130 grain pretty much.

I've tried very light bullets for screamers in front of Bluedot and gained little. I might go back that way for shooting ground squirrel or other specific use but lacking a specific reason I'll go pretty mainstream.

I have WAP and SP2 on hand but I'd have no issues with 231 for most paper punching. WAP and SP2 just might be a little disappointing for general use.

·
Registered
15,317 Posts
WAP rocks in 38 Super; so does 3N37.

Power Pistol, while loud, is also a superior choice.

Hornady XTP's.

CCI500.

Winchester / Starline.

I highly recommend a LEE / EGW undersized sizing die if reusing cases; this cartridge demands sufficient case neck tension.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I use W231 in my 38 Super for ESP division in IDPA. My 129-130 PF loads are a joy to shoot, but they don't lock back the slide. I need to load factory rounds as the last one in each mag.

Pay attention to WESHOOT2's advice about the need for an undersized depriming/sizing die. He diagnosed the issue I faced in 45ACP two years before I knew I had a problem.;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Lee EGW Undersizing Die

I appreciate the recommendation above. Since finishing a build on a .38 Super "race gun", I've loaded a couple thousand rounds on my Dillon 650, using standard Dillon dies. Problem is, only about half the finished rounds will clear Dillon's own case gage. The rest go into the "practice only" bag. I had the same problem with .40's, but that was expected, given the amount of "once fired" brass available that has been shot through a Glock. Solved that problem using a Lee/EGW die and will probably have to do the same in . 38 Super, unless someone has experience with a die that sizes farther down the case, like a Lee or a Hornady.

·
Registered
8,574 Posts
231 works fine for non-full-house/moderate .38 Super loads, and easily replicates approximate factory ammo available today. (Unique also works quite well)

For top velocities, you will likely want a slower burning powder though...

·
Registered
336 Posts
IT
If you go to this thread I have listed a number of light 38 super light loads.
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=175878
I use Starline 38 super Comp brass (rimless) with no modifications and no issues.
I use bullets from .355 to .357 95 to 147 grains
I use Magnum and Standard primers
AA7 (BD is fine but doesn't meter very well) is my favorite powder for bullets over 125 and WW231 is my favorite for lighter bullets.
I use standard Lee carbide dies with the Lee factory crimp Die.
TED

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Favorite brass is the Remington +P marked nickel cases.

Bullet weight...depends what you are going to use the gun for and if you are going to carry it, what round you choose. In the Commanders that I carry and shoot, they are loaded with the 100 grain CorBon PowR'Ball ammo. Berry's Manufacturing ( wwwberrysmfg.com ) makes a 100 grain Round Nose Hollow Base bullet that with 7 grains of Unique runs 1400 fps...makes a nice practice round for the PowR'Ball that is runnng 1500 fps (Chronographed from Cmmander). In GM length guns I usually shoot a 124 grain flat point bullet, most of which have been the Hornady.

WW231 works fine in a Super. Used to use a lot of it for target velocity loads but switched back to Unique as it gives a wider range of velocity at less pressure.

The CorBon 124s that Walking Point suggested is an excellent round. The boxes I have are marked 1350 fps however. The 115s are marked 1450 fps...and they chrono every bit of that. CorBon uses 9mm Sierra bullets in these loads so they are easy to duplicate a practice load by just seating the bullet to the same LOA as CorBon does.

So what do you have for a Super???

Bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.