1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading that article in SGN on the .38 Super 1911's and was remembering the Colt .38 supers I saw at a dealer last year.At the time they were the only 1911's being sold there(MA).They were the "Hispanically influenced" models with fake ivory grips and parkerized? I don't remember the model but are they still being made? What is the going price on them now at the gun shows if they are still floating around? How's the quality on them?

TIA

·
Premium Member
20,366 Posts
I believe Scottsdale Gun Center had a new Colt .38 Super for under $600.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,216 Posts
Colt has been making guns in the "El series" for years. El Presidente, El Senador, El Jeffe, El Chihuahua, etc. There must be more than a dozen of them, each more pimpy than the last. Some are fairly restrained, but the ones with jewelled hammers, gold bits, etc., are a bit much.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RickB said:
Colt has been making guns in the "El series" for years. El Presidente, El Senador, El Jeffe, El Chihuahua, etc. There must be more than a dozen of them, each more pimpy than the last. Some are fairly restrained, but the ones with jewelled hammers, gold bits, etc., are a bit much.
Thanks RickB.It was the "EL" series I was thinking of.The ones I saw were exempt of any gold of chrome.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
"El" Series....

I have one of the El Capitan models. It was the only Super ever made with a Officers Model slide. The non-engraved Els seem to sell for $900-1400 (NIB) depending on the model.

Bob

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
The "El" series guns have been produced for about 15 years as I recall. All that I have seen are series 80's. All the guns in the series are products of the Colt Custom Shop and are limited runs made for various distributors, Lew Horton, for example. A good deal of attention is paid to the fit and finish of these guns and has been over the years as far as I am aware. The three that I have happened to shoot have all been excellent shooters. Springfield has just come out with a high polish stainless .38 Super which mimics the style of the El series pieces. The first custom "melt" I ever saw was an El gun. Even used they are in the $800-1200 range. I haven't seen one for less than $850 and that had been carried alot. While engraving, bright stainless steel, deep blueing, mother of pearl grips or fake ones, etc. are not to everyones taste they are still well made pieces.

tipoc

·
Premium Member
20,366 Posts
With our proximity to Mexico and their laws against military calibers, those .38 Super "EL's" are the first thing to go at our gunshows. I sold one to a Mexican rancher for a nice profit and he didn't blink an eye. Later in the day I saw him with four of them!

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
The .38 Super is having a bit of a resurgence just now. Kimber, Springfield, and Rock Island have over the last year or so introduced new guns in .38 and Colt continues to produce them. Mil Spec versions do exist (some one above said they saw a Parkerized one) and are fitting as the U.S. used a few in the 30's.

tipoc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts