1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been reloading .380 using 100gr Copper Plated bullets from Xtreme and Berry’s…I favor Springfield’s 911, Kimber Micro, Sig P238, and Ruger LCP II….loading 2.7gr Bullseye, or 3.3gr Unique..absolutely no issues with feeding, ejecting, or accuracy. My question is what charges are others using for these powder/bullet combinations? My reason is that I tried these loads with a new Glock 42 and immediate failure to feed, eject. Seems that the load is too light for the Glock. I’ve read the manuals and whats been posted on other forums. Successful loads seem anywhere from 2.5 to 3.4 for Bullseye. Thinking about upping my charge to 2.9/3.0 for Bullseye. Not really interested in Max loads but one that’ll work in the Glock..any one else using the Glock 42 and what loads are you using. opinions/suggestions?

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I use 2.7 BE for pretty much everything for.380. Never shot them in a Glock but have run them thru my Walther PPK, a prehistoric Remington, an FN, a Ruger and a SIG 238. Not a hickup in the bunch. I don't carry any of them as a serious defense weapon, just paper punching and can killing.

·
Registered
851 Posts
2.7 to 2.8gr of TG has been my go to with 95 or 100gr coated or plated. Haven’t tried BE yet.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,469 Posts
Hornady shows a 100gr FMJ maxing out at 3.1 with BE. .980 COL @ 900 FPS.
I still think it’s funny that someone admitted that their Glock won’t run......😆

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
First, if your Glock is new, perhaps the recoil spring is a bit stout. It is not uncommon for mag springs to come pretty stiff, then loosen up after loading the mags fully and leaving them to sit for a couple of weeks. Maybe lock the side back on the Glock and let it set.

I tend to load my .380 and 9mm to the lower end of the range. If I note that I have an occasional FTE or FTF, I simply up the charge .1 gr until it runs reliably. I tend to use Accurate #2 for all my 9mm reloading and recently changed from 4.2 gr to 4.3 gr to make it run reliably in all my pistols.

·
Premium Member
10,469 Posts
First, if your Glock is new, perhaps the recoil spring is a bit stout. It is not uncommon for mag springs to come pretty stiff, then loosen up after loading the mags fully and leaving them to sit
It is also common for newbs to disregard the instructions from the manufacturers and fail to clean the weapon prior to blasting away. That packing gunk makes for some tough sledding for the slide. 5/10 times that’s the cause I see at the range. The other 5 is crap ammo.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is also common for newbs to disregard the instructions from the manufacturers and fail to clean the weapon prior to blasting away. That packing gunk makes for some tough sledding for the slide. 5/10 times that’s the cause I see at the range. The other 5 is crap ammo.
I’ve run factory ammo and it cycled okay…Glock was field stripped and cleaned. It’s the Glocks 2nd outing…admittedly only ran 10-15 factory rds first outing. That’s why I said new…after the reloads failed to cycle properly I ran 10 factory rounds through with no issues…shot 200 reloads (2.7bullseye) through Sig and 911 not a glitch….only the Glock had problems…will probably up the load to 2.9 Bullseye…

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First, if your Glock is new, perhaps the recoil spring is a bit stout. It is not uncommon for mag springs to come pretty stiff, then loosen up after loading the mags fully and leaving them to sit for a couple of weeks. Maybe lock the side back on the Glock and let it set.

I tend to load my .380 and 9mm to the lower end of the range. If I note that I have an occasional FTE or FTF, I simply up the charge .1 gr until it runs reliably. I tend to use Accurate #2 for all my 9mm reloading and recently changed from 4.2 gr to 4.3 gr to make it run reliably in all my pistols.
Thanks, I probably will up the load a bit. I was hoping someone had some experience with Bullseye and the Glock. I was surprised since that particular load worked on all my aforementioned handguns and my Walthers but not the Glock….I like Bullseye but recently ordered Win244 due to availability…hoping to develop a good consistent load for 9s and 45ACP…

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 2018 and 2020 Alliant manuals (pdf) only shows a 90gr Gold dot with Bullseye (3.4gr. max) with a vel of 981fps.

They show a compressed charge of Unique doing slightly better, but no 100gr projo data. Maybe time to try another powder...

Lots of .380 with 100gr data in the Western Powders/Accurate manual.
My old Lyman Pistol and Revolver Handbook 3rd Edition (Dec 2004) shows a Bullseye load 2.0-3.1 100gr FMJ…Unique 2.6-3.6….I’m in the upper end with loads…probably time to up the charge a bit…

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
This may be exactly what you already have but it's from the Lyman 48th:

Eyelash Font Material property Wood Tints and shades

Font Number Parallel Pattern Symbol

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This may be exactly what you already have but it's from the Lyman 48th:

View attachment 618197
View attachment 618196
Thanks, looks like the data hasn’t changed…what gets me is that I’m .4gr from max. I would think the 2.7 would be a good load. I’ll move to 2.8 which is 10% below max..hopefully that’ll work. I just got my Win244 so plan to see if that works better..I do have some 700x which is another possibility..

·
Premium Member
10,469 Posts
Wow....dump 3gr of Red Dot in there!! That’ll get the Glock to cycle......melt, or crack..😆
That’s pretty good vel for a pop gun!

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Thanks, looks like the data hasn’t changed…what gets me is that I’m .4gr from max. I would think the 2.7 would be a good load. I’ll move to 2.8 which is 10% below max..hopefully that’ll work. I just got my Win244 so plan to see if that works better..I do have some 700x which is another possibility..
That's the hard part with such a small round... normally 10% below max is considered the start load. But when a single tenth is several percent, it is tough to split hairs!

Bullseye is just a little too fast to be optimum in that round... Unique shows very well on paper, so if you had any left, that would likely be a worthwhile effort. I looked at Hogdon's data and Unique appears to have more potential than 244.

Interested to see how this plays out for you.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow....dump 3gr of Red Dot in there!! That’ll get the Glock to cycle......melt, or crack..😆
That’s pretty good vel for a pop gun!
That's the hard part with such a small round... normally 10% below max is considered the start load. But when a single tenth is several percent, it is tough to split hairs!

Bullseye is just a little too fast to be optimum in that round... Unique shows very well on paper, so if you had any left, that would likely be a worthwhile effort. I looked at Hogdon's data and Unique appears to have more potential than 244.

Interested to see how this plays out for you.
I like bullseye for my 45ACP loads. Have settled on 4.7gr/4.8gr for 230/200 respectively for CPRN bullets. That works very well on all my hand guns…I like Unique but I’ve pretty much run out of that powder. I managed to order 8lbs of Win244, so for the long term I need to switch to Win244 for my loads. It’s new and some data is available but very limited. When I work up some loads using it I’ll post then here.

·
Registered
I'm a Ruger man.
4,419 Posts
Lar,

It doesn't matter what works for other guns.
It only matters what works in YOURS.

When you find the sweet spot (for YOUR gun) use that load.
Make lots of those.

Ladders for 380 are tough because the difference in load for each step is so small.
Say half a grain per step? Or a quarter grain? .1 grain???
You almost have to trickle on a beam scale to do that.

But when you find that sweet spot, you will be very happy with those rounds.

·
Super Moderator
15,610 Posts
I have not loaded .380 in a long time, but the one powder that worked better than anything else was Alcan AL-120; that got discontinued when Hercules bought out Alcan. Unique was okay, but not optimal in the small capacity of the case, and both my brother and I sold our .380's soon after that. Having said that, I think there are a lot of powders today that should work admirably in the .380 - perhaps N310 or N320, maybe AA#2, or something along that line.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I think I'd CAREFULLY work upward on charge weight, using Unique, or BE-86 if you can obtain any. I suggest 0.1 gr. increments, trickler-weighed. Given the structure of individual grains of Unique, this may be a tedious and annoying proposition. Using BE-86, essentially a cleaner-burning, better metering, flash-suppressed analog of Unique, may make things a bit easier. In all calibers in which I've used the two, the loading data is very close, if not interchangeable. But CHECK THE RELOADING DATA BEFORE making ANY ASSUMPTIONS!!!
I think the slightly slower-burning rate of Unique (vs. Bullseye), plus its remarkably predictable behaviour in the .380's pressure range (21.5 kpsi) will give you a slightly greater margin of safety in work-up. I don't know if the Glock .380 has a locking breech, but if yes, this may also add to the safety margin (and be part of the reason for lower charge weights not cycling).
I don't think primer flattening, at typical .380 pressures, will be predictive of over pressure (if you DO see signs of flattening, back WAY off the charge weight!). Slide velocity, as indicated by the distance your brass is ejected, may be a much better indicator. Fire 10 rounds of factory 95 gr. FMJ in a place where you can easily see where they land. Measure the distance from firing point to where MOST (6 or more out of 10) of the cases land (modal ejection distance). Make note of the size of the "circle" in which they fell. If your reloads eject into a similar-sized circle the edge of which is more than 25% further, back the charge off. This method is not fool-proof and will never replace a universal receiver with pressure sensor. But it can serve as AN indicator that you are too far above spec.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts