1911Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can find data on this wildcat? Todd Jarrod's website only lists 2 IMR powders but no amounts. Hornaday only lists the brass.I've done some searches,found zip.:(

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Look over at brianenos.com

since it is mainly a competition cartridge..that would be your best source of other folks using that brass..

·
Super Moderator
7,878 Posts
Are you looking for IPSC data, IDPA data or plinknig data?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply, eerw and Tom Freeman. I'm looking for any and all data on this cartridge to see if i't's something I'm interested in.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reason I'm thinking about this is I don't like how semi rims feel going into and out of my single stack mags. because the TJ has a deeper groove than .38 super comp It seems it would be more reliable. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
of all the IPSC guns I have seen running 38SC and 38TJ..I have not seen problems of extraction due to the rim..but all these guns either have tuned Aftecs or good quality tuned extractors..

Yes the deeper groove of the TJ brass would give your extractor more to grab and less likelyhood of a failure..so if that gives you a little more piece of mind, then the expense would be worth it..

I shoot 9x23 in my single stacks and IPSC guns for that reason..deeper extractor groove, tapered case, strong brass and availability of IPSC major power factor factory ammo..

so if that works for you go for it...as for data..if you have chrono..might start off of some IPSC data , back way off and start working up..most if not all loads use small rifle primers.

good luck and be safe

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks eerw, I like shooting standard .38 super but it is hard to load the 10th round in my mags and all but impossible to unload by hand. I like 9x23 as a carry load but have seen a number of posts saying after a couple loadings 9x23 brass will no longer chamber in a .38 super. Since I need to buy 1000 rounds of something to run thru my diilon I've been trying to decide between super comp and TJ. If i have to fit another extractor that's no big deal.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am using 7.5 grains of IMR SR7625 in 38TJ behind a 124gr montana gold JHP. This produces about 1370 fps in my open gun. 38tj is hornady produced and in my experience lasts longer than the starline supercomp.

This load is way over specs. For a non fully supported chamber, non compensated gun, you would need to start lower.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reply Andrew B, I'll try that load. Starting below and working up. My SA has a fully supported bbl. no comp.

·
Super Moderator
7,878 Posts
I went through my work up data for a good accurate minor power factor load.

Everything that worked was right in the middle of the 38 Super data.

4.3 N320 under a 124 CMJ or 5.1 of Herco is what I am using.

For major out of an SV Tribrid I was using close to 9.5 gns of Vhit 3N38 with 124 CMJ's.

Getting that 10th round in a single stack mag is easy. No rim to deal with. Its basically a 223 case cut down to 23mm. Getting the 28th round in a 170mm mag isnt as easy, but it can be done without tools and bleeding.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks Tom, I'll be trying those loads as soon as the TJ brass I order comes in.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have no idea what it reads on a cronograph but 4gr Bullseye and a 135gr FMJ loaded to an oal of 1.280 is a darn pleasent shooting load.. I have no need to hot rod and this load does all I ask of it..

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have used 38TJ before and to my observation behaves very similar to the old MCM 38Sup brass. Both have similar case capacity, about the same thickness in the web area which are thicker than Starline's 38SC. If I load 8.3 gr of Ramshot Silhouette in the 38SC I get around 1400 fps, but with the 38TJ I will get 1450-1475. Be careful if your barrel is not fully supported, start low since those figures I gave you were 1.255" OAL, shot throug a 5.5 inch compensated fully supported barrel IPSC gun. josh

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the replies Bompa and Joshua! Josh, what bullet are you using, brand and weight? I do have a fully supported bbl. no comp. Roben.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Those 8.3 loads were 125 grn hardcast with some shiny baked on black coating from Billy Bullets, the loads will not lead up as long as you don't push them over the limits. I was also loading 125 grn .355 jacketed using 8.5 of the same powder and will easily make the old 175 power factor. Now I load 7.8 to make 168 power factor with 124 grn jacketed from Winchester or 125 grn from Montana gold. I usually get better accuracy with 115 grain 38 super bullets sized .356. Other good powders to use are Vv powders: N350, 3n37, N340 (if not pushing the envelope). I'm using Win WSF utilizing 125 grn Montana Gold jacketed, it's an over pressure load so I won't share that here. All powders mentioned can be loaded to SAAMI specs, I just hope no one reading this thread tries to hot rod an unsupported barrel. It won't be a pretty sight. Take care and keep us posted on reloading recipes you come up with. josh

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Josh, I'll keep you posted.:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts