1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mornin' everyone,
I just wanted to get opinions on fullsize vs commander for carry, longevity, etc.
I caarry a full size now and dont have any trouble, but was curious if 3/4 of an inch makes that much diff. in concealability. Also, by shortening JMB's original design, will I have more issues to worry about?
I really love EBs carry models, but I also love his fullsize as well: so, 5" or 4.25" or both?
I really enjoy this EB forum and appreciate any and all opinions.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Maybe best of both worlds?

Hey Jhead45,

Good morning to you and welcome to the forum. Thanks for your service to our country. As to your question about the commander vs. the 5" here is a thought. I have a 4.25" KC ordered and chose that length because I had concealability in mind. But, as I'm sure you already know as you carry a 5" pistol now the grip is more of the factor in concealment than the barrel. I carried a 5" milspec SA for probably 3 years and the barrel didn't give me too much trouble. From studying other members posts for almost a year now I have no doubt the 4.25" EB pistol is going to be great, but I have also gathered that the 5" gun has a bit fewer problems that the Carry models. With all of this in mind, when I order another EB I am going to go with what I believe to be the best of both worlds. I am going to get the 5" Kobra with the bobtail grip.

HEY GREYSON, VENUTO, AV8OR17, someone smarter than me help! Tell me and Jhead45 if I am correct about the 5" having a few less troubles than the commander lengths. I think I am right about this, but help me out.

God bless Jhead45 and good luck in your decision. :)

Sincerely,

PastorDW

·
Registered
638 Posts
I agree with the above poster.

I have a Govt SF. It's as near to perfect as I can imagine. However, the grip does print some when I am carrying CC and bend over/forward.

To remedy this I ordered a Bobtail'd Carry SF. Besides, it gave me an excuse to try EB's stainless finish.

Get a Carry model and have one of each.

·
Registered
364 Posts
A few thoughts here. First is I alway say "it depends!"

It depends to a very great extent on your body type/style and dress style as to what you can conceal and what would be more difficult to conceal. A taller, thicker and rounded body can conceal much more then a thin, shorter, rectanular body shape IMHO. I am 5'9, 165# with a rectanular body shape and the butt of most full size 1911's sticks out behind me and prints when I am carrying them. And I don't like a SOB(small of back) holster for many reasons. So for my body type a shorter framed 1911 works/conceals better. The loss of the one round is not a big issue for me as I always carry a spare 7 round mag on my support side which should hopefully be enough for most situations if I do my part :) which is where I put in a lot of time and effort in at.

The second question is about reliability. IMHO the 5" and the 4.25" pistols have proven themselves very reliable. It's the ultra small pistols with the 3" or 3 1/4" barrels and the like that seem to be a bit more finiky about what they'll digest and how they'll run than the 4 1/4" or full size pistols. Though the Ultra's may still serve a need and have a place in the CCW world, I'd choose a 4 1/4" and certainly a 5" over a Ultra anyday give the option.

So IMHO there are no carry/function concerns with the Ed Brown Kobra Carry and I too am a fan of the rounded off butt style to help with concealment while not losing any shooting ability. What ever you decide, break in your pistol with 2-300 rounds of 230 gr FMJ ball and then run 50-100 rounds of your preferred carry ammo though it to make sure that it will work flawlessly when you need it. If you need to switch ammo to make your pistol function better that is no big deal in my book since there are no magic bullets anyways, just far to many people worrying about this bullet over that bullet when they should be spending their time, efforts and money at the range working to guarentee their hits instead of spending it on the "bullet DeJour" all of the gun rags keep pushing.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I certainly don't consider myself an expert but I've owned a few 1911's over the years. I've owned a few 4-1/4" guns, I've owned 4 of the 3" guns, and 8 or 10 full sized guns.

Of all the 5" guns I've owned only one was what I would call "unreliable". The others were very reliable but I did have an occasional stoppage........which in hindsight was probably more as a result of the magazines than the gun. My 5" Ed Brown Special Forces has proven to be completely reliable. Just fired my 7000th round through it a 1/2 hour ago. Absolutely ZERO gun-related stoppages. I have had only one stoppage out of the 7,000 rds fire, and that was the result of a reloaded round that the case split causing it to stop before the round could enter the chamber.

I've owned 3 Kimber and 1 Springfield compact 3" 1911's. NONE of them were reliable. The only way I could keep them running was to replace the recoil springs every 300-400 rds. The 3" guns are probably a little easier to conceal due to their shorter grip, but I don't consider concealability nearly as important as reliability.

Of the 4-1/4" guns I've owned I've had a mixed bag. One Kimber I had was pretty reliable but it would occasionally fail to return to battery. If I recall correctly Kimber used to use an 18# recoil spring but have since gone to a 22# spring. Of the others that I've owned, one was defective from the factory but after sending it in for repairs it was totally reliable, the other would occasionally have a malfunction, but again in all fairness that was back in the "old days" and I suspect the failures were magazine related rather than gun related.

My personal preference in the 1911 is a 5" gun which is why I carry my Ed Brown all the time. With a good IWB holster I have no trouble with concealment. I use a Milt Sparks VM-2. I don't think the 4-1/4" guns are any more concealable than the 5" guns.

I'm sure that others have had different experiences than I have, but I can only relate my personal experience. I will never buy another 3" 1911, but I would buy a 4-1/4" gun with little reservation.

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
Brown only makes steel weapons and only goes as small as 4.25". They do this since they don't feel anything shorter will hold up or be reliable.

A Carry model should last 100,000 easily. You might replace a barrel or a bushing once in a while, but call me to reevaluate after you hit 100,000 rounds.

Regards,
Greyson

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
I have two 1911's and both have the 4.25" barrels. Both have functioned perfectly. If you prefer to carry, this size is perfect. I have shot both 4.25" and the 5" barrels ....... and if you have a quality 1911, you will not notice any difference, as far as accuracy or muzzle flip.
My Ed Brown Massad Ayoob is the best pistol I've ever encountered !

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
I have two 1911's and both have the 4.25" barrels. Both have functioned perfectly. If you prefer to carry, this size is perfect. I have shot both 4.25" and the 5" barrels ....... and if you have a quality 1911, you will not notice any difference, as far as accuracy or muzzle flip.
My Ed Brown Massad Ayoob is the best pistol I've ever encountered !
I am still waiting for a full report on your Mas Ayoob 1911 with pics and test targets. Also...I want to hear more about your ambi-safety and how it is holding up.

Regards,
Greyson

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
I know everyone like to see range pics ... but

1. I don't like to boast
2. I don't take a camera to the range
3. I don't download camera pics
4. I usually practice head shots
5. That's just me.
6. No problem with the ambi. at this time (200 rds)
7. Usually use my S&W 1911 ES as carry gun
8. Ed Brown Mas Ayoob is my pride and joy
(keeping it spotless)
9. These are by choice

1 - 10 of 10 Posts