1911Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search on the archives here and didn't see an answer to my question, so I will post it and hope it isn't too redundant.

Is there a commercial load made in .40 S&W that would be considered hard ball, or round nose? All I have been able to find, so far, are jacketed hollow points and full-metal-jacketed truncated rounds.

DQ

·
Registered
22,516 Posts
There is not a roundnose FMJ .40 that I know of. Truncated conical FMJs fill the role of ball ammo in the .40 cal.

The .40 was designed to fit a magazine no longer than a 9mm's and to feed in an action with a slide travel no longer than a 9mm's. That made it easy for S&W and the other manufacturers to introduce .40 guns based on 9mm designs.

The truncated cone bullet profile is a sizeable part of that design. It loads to an OAL that fits the magazines and hits the feed ramp nearly the same as 9mm.

Laser Cast has a roundnose .40 but it is intended to improve feeding in .40 cal 1911s with their longer actions. Cast, not jacketed, anyway.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.