1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
I do know one, and only one, guy that does this. I do believe that his is the only Open 40 I have seen in 4 years.

Not to burst a bubble here, but if it was all that great, everyone would be doing it.... I do feel your pain with the mags....

Rich

·
Registered
555 Posts
Dont listen to what other say! Beven from Grams Engineering (one who makes the base pads) shoot a 40 in open with XTP 135 bullets. Also Bob from Huntercustoms who post on this forum also shoots a 40 in open class. I dont believe the round count with the mags should really be an issue now with the new course designs in IPSC. You can buy one 170mm tube in 40 from SV. 24 rounds! Just a thought I think shooting a 357 sig in open would be another way to go. Check the loading data against a 357 sig and 38 super. About the same. 357 sig brass can be found (once fired) 40 bucks a thousand. You cant buy super OFB at all. take care

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Hey if thats what I had, I wouldn't have a problem doing it.

The reason you don't see too many people doing it is mainly round count. In IPSC you can never have too may rounds. If you want ot compete on a national scale with visions of grandmaster. No it is not the way to go. Hence Rob Leatham switching back to 9mm Supercomp from 9X25. If you are shooting on the weekends or a few regional/national matches or in the A,B,C,D classes of IPSC why not.

24 rounds isn't bad...also you could shoot pins with the gun. Other things to think about would be to build in a modified class configuration (.40 is min. caliber allowed) and then you could shoot both open and modified classes if you wanted. You could build in .357 Sig or 9X25 if you wanted.

Brass is plentiful and faily inexpensive also. You also build a second top end and have limited gun too.

All in all this would be a very versatile caliber to shoot. With two top ends (limited and open) you would have a gun that could shoot most divisions in IPSC and shoot in IDPA (with limited top end) and pinshooting.

Wow maybe I just talked myself into something..good luck on your project..What frame are you thinking on building on???

stuart

·
Registered
220 Posts
So, are you going to build another top end for your Limited gun so you can shoot Limited and Open?

Rich

·
Super Moderator
739 Posts
If you have the mags and want to save the money go for it, but realize that it is not the best set-up for shooting open. 38 super is going to work the comp better at 165 power factor than the 40 ever will. You can load lighter bullets and use more powder and work the comp better. I don't worry too much about the round count but the difference in shooting 115's or 124's instead of 135's and in a smaller caliber (higher pressure)is a huge difference in how the comp works. As far as building one gun with two top ends you are going to end up with a compromise on both guns and not the best of each. Again this is ok if you just want to save money, but don't fool yourself into thinking it is the best set-up. My recommendations to customers is that when they are spending that much money they should spend the little extra that it takes and get exactly what they want.

------------------
Bob Londrigan
Brazos Custom Gunworks
254-622-2245
http://www.brazoscustom.com

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Winder.
I have been shooting .40 Open for over 5 years now, and would not give it up. I use a STI/SV type frame and get 20 rounds in my 140mm mags and 25 in the 170mm mags. I use a 125g frangible bullet from SinterFire, or a 135g JHP from Nosler. Once fired brass is so cheap that it's not worth picking up unless it's in a pile during practice. If you want to know more, just give me a call.

------------------
Beven Grams
Owner
Grams Engineering
2435 Norse Ave.
Costa Mesa, CA 92627
phone: 949-548-3745
fax: 949-548-8122
email: ([email protected])
web: (www.gramseng.com)

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Hello Winder
The reason I shoot an open gun in 40 cal is I wanted to use one gun for Steel,IPSC,and Pins thats why I built the All-Sport Forty. I use a 135 gr bullet at 1100fps for steel,1330fps for IPSC(this load was developed for the old 175 power factor its so accurate and the comp works so well I have not changed it)and 1560fps for Pin shooting making a power factor of 210. I think you will find this would be difficult to do with any other caliber. Now I can shoot all the major gun games where a racegun is legal with just one gun. As for making Grand Master I believe thats up to the shooter more than the gun. I believe Todd Jarrett made Grand Master using a 40.
Regards,Bob Hunter. www.huntercustoms.com

[This message has been edited by Hunter Customs (edited 03-11-2001).]

·
Registered
175 Posts
Winder,
Don't worry about it I've been shooting the .40 in open for about a year now. I heard the same things. I'm running laser-cast 140's at a PF of 171. The gun shoots as flat as any 9 or 38 out there. Funny thing is most of the guys who warned me are now looking at my 6 wondering what just happened!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts