1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the urge to replace a 10mm barrel in a Delta Elite with a 40 S&W, but I've seen comments on the forum which imply that it's not good for much of anything other than plinking.

According to the attached chart, the avg energy (in this table, anyway) is comparable to a 45 ACP.

So it would seem that a 40 S&W in a DE might not be such a bad option, re performance. I don't have a lot of interest in shooting the 10mm round on a regular basis. :(

·
Registered
171 Posts
I wouldn't listen to anyone who says the .40 is only good for plinking. I believe it's the most widely used police caliber these days, and in some use with the military.

Lots of folks shoot 185gr .45 +p as a defensive round - the .40 comes in 180gr if you want it, at roughly the same velocity.

I don't own anything that uses .40, but only because I don't see a need to add a caliber to my 9mm and .45 guns.

·
Registered
373 Posts
The .40 is fine, as with any defensive pistol round, shot placement is the key. The .38 spl, 9mm. .40, .45 .357 etc. will all do their part if you do yours. I try not to get hung up on caliber or this brand of hollow point vs. that one, if you want to make your 10mm into a .40 go for it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'm not a of the .40's (subjective opinion re: recoil impulse), but it is a great round. Best arguments for getting the .40 barrel is cheaper ammo than 10mm, and .40 seems to be one of the few pistol calibers that you can still readily get at Walmart.

Is a simple barrel swap all there is to it for coverting a delta to .40?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
The only thing that might stop me from putting a .40 barrel into a DE is if the reviews were negative about function of the gun. Or, if the cost of the barrel and any springs cost more than a Glock or other .40 pistol.

As far as the cartridge, it is a viable defensive pistol round.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
The only time I deviated from 9/45 was a brief ownership of a Glock 32 (.357sig). Flat shooting accurate round....that wasn't for me. I'm back to 9/45. Anyone think those two are wimpy enough to want to stand in front of one? -didn't think so.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I can not speak to running 40 in a 1911 platform...but I do own a couple of S&W models in 40 primarily because I chose that cal when I first got into defensive carry..looking at a lot of performance tables that took into account shorter barrels the 40 seemed to make good sense.

What i found over the next couple years was that the 40 recoil, being snappier, tended to enhance my bad shooting habits..sure, at the range, with plenty of time and focus, you can correct, but do some drills under pressure and the recoil remained an issue for me...that's just me...anyway...I shoot better with a 1911 45acp platform but I've never sold my smiths..they are incredibly reliable, fine weapons and a tremendous value on the used market these days. I keep about 1,000 rds of 40 on hand..don't really shoot much 40, but at times this past year when I'd go ammo shopping..40 was all I could find and I hate coming home empty handed.

and for the record...my bugout bag has a smith 4006 living in it with 100rds preloaded mags.. I might have one of my carry 1911s on me when the SHTF on a bad day just cause I might be carrying...but if it's middle of the night and I'm running...I'll be carrying 40 cal. cause it's been an easy choice to commit that pistol and some ammo to the bag.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Do you have to seat the 40 S&W bullets less deep for proper 1911 feeding? Some of the STI race gun guys at our club told me you do. Is this a 1911 thing or just an STI thing?

·
Registered
621 Posts
I agree that the .40 S&W is a great defense round and very comparable to the 45. I also have a 10MM and would only consider a barrel change for economy. It is hard to beat the performance of the 10MM cartridge. I've taken a different route and purchased a 45 in the 1911 platform. The bullet components are cheaper and the recoil is rapid fire friendly. My 2 cents worth anyway.

·
Registered
779 Posts
My question would be why 40?

With the 10mm Auto you can load it up or down as it is very flexible and you do not have to worry about bullet setback like in a 40.

If you have a 45 acp too it covers everything the 40 can do plus it is a safer round. With a 40 you are just trying to play catchup with a 45 or 10mm.

I have a 10mm and some 45acp's and do not see a need for a 40, as it would be a step down to me.

With all that being said, it is your pistol, do with it what you want as you really do not need a reason!

I have a Colt 38 Super XSE Lightweight Commander and have Barsto barrels fitted to it in 9mm, 38 Super and 9X23 Winchester and really only use the 9X23 Win in it. Now that I have a 10mm Auto, I do not use any of the 9mm chamberings so it just sits in the safe.

·
Registered
930 Posts
84 Bravo:

If you have a 45 acp too it covers everything the 40 can do plus it is a safer round.

Why is it a safer round? Just curious, I'm a novice and only own a 45.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
While the .40 short n weak is a perfectly acceptable round, it's not for me. I find the recoil of the .40 to be much more abrupt and snappy than the .45acp's gentle push. Between the two, I'd go .45 every time.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Do you have to seat the 40 S&W bullets less deep for proper 1911 feeding? Some of the STI race gun guys at our club told me you do. Is this a 1911 thing or just an STI thing?
The 1911 platform likes a cartridge OAL of around 1.250. This is why cartridges like the 38 Super and 10mm have good track records for feeding and the 9mm and 40’s don’t.

USPSA shooters first realized this and since these were competition “race” guns and they were hand loading ammo anyway for it. The simple solution was to have the chamber throat lengthened to allow an OAL of 1.250 or as close to it as possible to allow proper feeding.

Today there are magazines available to improve feeding with factory length ammo but from what I understand it’s a hit or miss proposition.

The main question for lonnieW is, do you handload?

If you do, just specify to the smith installing the barrel that you would like a chamber throat cut to allow an OAL of 1.250. This would reduce your conversion to just a barrel and lighter recoil spring and you can use your factory 10mm mags.

If your sticking with factory ammo. Plan on including new mags to that conversion. (There are always exceptions to this of course).

Hope this helps.

Jeff

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have a DGC with the .40 conversion barrel. Probably the most accurate gun I've ever fired but it has been to two excellent 1911 smiths and neither has been able to get it to run reliably. The first smith made gave it a reliability job as a 10mm when I first got it and it functioned flawlessly until I tried my .40 conversion and now I'm back to wishing I'd not spent the money on the conversion barrel, magazines and labor and had just bought a dedicated .40 1911 like a STI or a Smith and Wesson for burning up .40 cal at the range.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
There are a quite few 'less than max' 10mm factory loads available, I know Hornady has their 200 gr XTP loaded to about 1,000 fps. I can't recall if they offer/offered any 180gr XTP at same velocity.

If expense of regular shooting (i.e, cost of 10mm ammo) is a concern, you might be just as well served acquiring a reloading press , 500 rounds of brass, and some 180 gr RNFP bullets from Precision Bullets.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Winchester is delivering 200million 40cal. rounds to Homeland Security. I wonder who they plan on plinkin with those ! :(
A lot of agencies under Homeland Security to buy ammo for now including Secret Service, Immigration and Customs, Coast Guard, Border Patrol, and Federal Law Enforcement Training Center which is a big purchaser of ammo since most agencies do basic LE training there. Would love to have a stash like that though!

·
Registered
779 Posts
84 Bravo:

If you have a 45 acp too it covers everything the 40 can do plus it is a safer round.

Why is it a safer round? Just curious, I'm a novice and only own a 45.

Thanks.
Bullet setback in a 40 can lead to a very bad day and a Kboom. Most factory ammo for the 40 S&W is produced near the rounds maximum limits for the shortened case, and there is not much room left over for anything else in there. So, if you have bullet setback which shortens the COL, the pressure can suddenly spike above the limits of the case and cause an explosion where a bad day is had by all.

The same can happen is a 10mm and a 45acp, but there is a lot more room for error in the 10 and 45 because unless you are reloading really hot 45 or 10mm rounds with very fast powder you really do not need to worry about bullet setback unless it is a very heavy bullet and really blatantly shorter than the COL. OR using something like BB or DT and have bullet setback.

I would think most Kbooms in 45 are from hand loaders using the wrong powder in the cartridge or too much of a very fast powder trying to hot rod the round. :bawling:

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Hi all.
Shot placment every time, them charts mean nothing. I know of stories of a bull elephant being dropped with a 22LR round and a guy that I knew that was hit with an anti tank round and lived and Is still walking around to this day. It aint what you have, It's the way how you use It that counts. A miss, is as good as a mile, or a mister:biglaugh:

I have hand guns from a 22 short,up too a 50 AE Desert Eagle, and most calabers In between, I don't have a 10MM yet and I don't have some of the big boys, like the 460-454 & the S&W 500, just the 50AE. What Is the most dangeress weapon, I guess Is the one I have In my hand at the time???
Semper Fi all. Hank D.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts