1911Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering purchasing another 1911 style pistol. I am trying to decide b/w a .40 S & W and .45 ACP. I realize that the .45 is more common (i.e., in 1911 style pistols) and originally what the 1911 was made for, but I am wondering what the advantage of the .45 is over the .40. I am going to be using it mostly for shooting at the range, and also carry it concealed occasionally. Does anyone have any insight with respect to choosing b/w these two calibers?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I have 1911's in both calibers.

Use both (full-size Para Ordnances) for competition, not for carry. WAY too big and heavy for CCW.

.40 gives you more capacity in a given magazine, and you can still safely drive a 180 grain bullet (I know some people use 200 gr. bullets, but not in MY gun!). Ammo is cheaper and, because so many police departments use it, you can probably get brass free if you know where they practice.

.45 is classic and a proven knock-down cartridge.

Lots of load data either way. Get one of each! :D

·
Registered
684 Posts

I have had a shorty forty and now have a .45.

If you are dead set on punching a .40 hole, get a .45 and buy a .400 cor-bon barrel. Then your .40 will be a real whupass.

Nothing against the .40 S&W. It's a good stopper and much better round IMHO than the 9mm. But it isn't a .45. And the .400 cor-bon barrel will give you some real flexibility.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
<><> The .45 makes a bigger hole...

Stores would be more likely to carry
.45 than .40 ammo...

===========================

<><> Raspy <><>

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I've HAD a .40 pistol and wouldn't buy another as I don't like the round.

I now shoot a .45ACP and a 357 Sig and am very content with these two calibers.

I actually carry a 357 Sig in a P239 and this is one fine round in a great CCW pistol.

It's more accurate and feeds better than the .40

It's also less snap recoil than the .40 too.

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
I would just go with the standard .45 cal because of greater interchangability/availability of parts and its slightly wider diameter and heavier slug.

I would only consider a .40 cal in a pistol whos frame was designed for a shorter catridge such as the G17/22, BHP, etc.

If you wanted to get a .40 1911 you can fit a 10mm in the frame and go all out.

;)

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Stores would be more likely to carry
.45 than .40 ammo...
I haven't seen that to be the case at all. If anything, in recent years I'm seeing a greater variety of .40 ammo for sale than .45.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
<><> kbear38s---Perhaps I should have
added that I meant in the more out of the
way gun/hardware stores...

I was thinking in the smaller towns...

===============================

<><> Raspy <><>

·
Registered
137 Posts
Had a Glock 23 once in .40 but got rid of it after a while. Can't help it, I've been a .45 fan much to long to get excited about anything less.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
In a 1911 I prefer a 45acp. I am joining the chorus by saying if I were you I would look for a lightweight Commander or Officer Model. I don't find carrying a full sized 1911 as easy as others. Yes, it can be done but you have to dress around it more than with a Commander or Officer Model. Regards, Richard:D

·
Registered
335 Posts
Iwould worry most about reliability. 1911's in .45 have a much better reputation for trouble free operation than do .40s. The shorter cartridge can cause problems. A lot of people get around this by loading their ammo longer than .40 specs and using 10mm mags.

--tdow

1 - 13 of 13 Posts