1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone reloads 40's, please let me know what works best for range practice. I'm looking for something accurate and cost effective.

------------------
"It's better to be confused and distraught, than it is to be mislead in the wrong direction"

·
Registered
68 Posts
...please elaborate

If you're just looking for a load...
I am currently loading .40 with 5.0 grns of universal with a 180 grn berrys plated bullet @1.135" OAL.This load chronos at 950 FPS out of a schueman bbl and 925 out of a standard Para BBl.Burns clean and plenty accurate.

I just picked up 4 lbs of N340 when I get a load worked up for it I will post my results.

[This message has been edited by paranoid (edited 11-14-2001).]

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm very new to reloading Handgun brass. I'm looking for a good begginers round. My Lyman's books only has a few. I would like something close to winchesters factory fmj

·
Registered
550 Posts
A 155 jhp in front of 7.4 of Unique gives 1185 fps, and a 155 lswc in front of 5.2 of W231 does 970 fps. The first load is below maximum, and the latter is a nice practice load. Lately, I have been using both bullets with 5.5 of 231 with good results.

·
Super Moderator
7,626 Posts
Are you shooting a 1911 or something along the lines of a Glock or Sig?

If it is a 1911, go here. http://home.columbus.rr.com/jmaass/

Start low and work up.

If its for a Glock or something requiring ammo loaded short, go with the books.

Watch for Glock brass. Avoid it like the plague. Ask around some IPSC clubs near you, a lot of data can come from there. And, someone might have a roll sizer, which can help fix the Glock bulge.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right now a Ruger. I'm looking at getting a glock though.

------------------
"It's better to be confused and distraught, than it is to be mislead in the wrong direction"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted by KLN:
A 155 jhp in front of 7.4 of Unique gives 1185 fps, and a 155 lswc in front of 5.2 of W231 does 970 fps. The first load is below maximum, and the latter is a nice practice load. Lately, I have been using both bullets with 5.5 of 231 with good results.
I have been looking for load data for 140 lswc in 40 s&w. Have you had any personal experience with that or know a source? I have looked everywhere.

·
Registered
458 Posts
My experience is that the 40 is easy to load. I've loaded and fired many thousands of 40 S&Ws for a wide assortment of Glock and Ruger .40-cal. semi-autos... and I've not had a problem with 'bulged' brass at all.

Also, my handloads have functioned interchangeably in Glock & Ruger firearms. (I confess, I've never been around a 1911 in 40-cal or 10mm... so I can't shed any light on loading the short-40 or the 10mm for that grand platform).

My preferred powders have been Blue Dot, WW231, and more recently, Titegroup. Loads are near-max. as listed in Hodgdon, Speer and Hornady manuals, as well as on-line listings from Alliant, Hodgdon and Winchester.

I seem to prefer the mid-weight bullets, although I experimented some with the light-weight Nosler 40-cal. 150 -- 170 gr. weight bullets are my preference. The 165gr Rem. sabre bullet is a favorite, plus I fired many thousands of cast TC bullets in several different Glocks... (Yes, I'm cheap, and I'd rather shoot more and spend less, so I find shooting cast bullets very appealing).

But please don't tell Glock, they think these cast-bullet loads won't work in their products, and I wouldn't want to alarm them. (With cast bullets, you do have to clean the chamber periodically, but the Glock rifling handles cast bullet loads VERY well, thank you).
--CC

[This message has been edited by Capt_C (edited 11-16-2001).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts