1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard a couple of guys in a gun store talking about putting a 40 Smith barrel in a DE. Seems to me I've seen something about that idea here, but can't find anything in search.

If possible, I presume the 40 Smith load would have a little less recoil? Pros and cons? Is this feasible? And could it be done without modification of the slide or frame?

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
I believe Colt made available at one time a two barrel set-up for the Delta!! The original 10MM and a 40S&W barrel, recoil spring, spring plug and bushing!!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Pretty simple conversion, just need to properly fit a barrel and get a different recoil spring. I don't remember what factory is on my .40 but I think I have a 17lb in there now.

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
The new barrel will have its own link and bushing. Which means that the sights probably require adjustment. That makes switching back and forth a little tedious unless you get lucky and both Points of Impact happen to be identical.

·
Registered
805 Posts
My Delta Elite has several barrels.

In addition to the 10mm it came with, I have a 357 SIG barrel. I have a .40 S&W barrel. I also have available a 9x19 barrel, and a .38 Super barrel.

Yes, the breech face is a little large for those last 2, but it does work.:biglaugh:

I wouldn't use any thing but the original 10mm barrel for any serious use, but the others do work quite well, and are lots of fun on the range.

That is 5 calibers, I guess you could say 6, since I also have a Ciener kit to convert it to .22LR.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Simple Enough?

Well, all of this seems simple enough.

But what about the magazine....can you use the 10mm magazine for the 40 Smith cartridge? I would although think a new barrel bushing would be required?

I really like the 38 Super idea, but maybe that's pushing things a little.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I use .40 S&W mags for both .40 S&W and 357 SIG. I use 9mm mags for 9mm, though usually hardball 9mm will feed acceptably from a .38 Super mag.

I some times load my 357 SIGs long, to fill out the 10mm magazine, but that is a story for another day.

It is all kind of try and see, IMO. Maybe it will work for you, and maybe not.

It has worked for me.

Not real sure if it has any real value, other than range fun. It has been fun doing it, however.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts