1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I was thinking of buying a 44 mag as a trail gun, but the price of the gun + holster and ammo would be pushing it big time. I was wondering if I could convert the kimber pro carry (aluminum frame) to a 40 super. kkm precision makes 40 super barrels for colt governments (Since they use bushings and my kimber doesn't, will colt gov't barrels work? What about gov't bull barrels Check out this link please http://www.kkmprecision.com/Prod.asp?SubCatID=10 and tell me if anything there will work. How about products from barsto? http://barsto.com/Colt.html I don't know of any other barrel makers so if you do I would appreciate you mentioning them. I also don't mind going with a barrel longer than 4" and would actually prefer something like a 6" barrel if that would work. Thanks a lot

Matt

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention that I will definitely need a new recoil spring #32 i think. I'd probably also get a one piece guide rod (tungsten?) and some shok buffs

Matt

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Schmackey, I actually drive to fort collins to a friends cabin to shoot. I know there is the Boulder Rifle club, but they are definitely out unless you have been on the waiting list for a long time or are under 18. Let me know if that is the case as juniors can get junior memberships, then when they turn 18 they become a full member. Are you a student at CU and what type of gun(s) do you have?

Matt

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Nope, I'm pushing 30. Went to CU for grad school in the last millennium.

I work in Golden/Lakewood so I go to the Silver Bullet Pistol Range after work sometimes. And I went to the range in Cherry Creek last weekend; it's really nice. Way better than the Silver Bullet but not as convenient for me.

I have a Ruger .22 pistol and a Kimber .45 (the standard bullseye equipment).

·
Registered
289 Posts
Matt, I would not suggest the Aluminum frames for the .40 Super. I use a 26# spring in my full sized steel framed .40 Super and the shock buffs are toast after 50 rounds. Higher than 26# starts to introduce other problems in function and reliability.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Beasty,

Why not just go 10MM? Heck, there is even a 10MM Express being produced by Gary Hindman at Ace .45's, in Texas...

That should give you considerably more umph than the .40 Super! More like a good .41 Mag load...

Wes

1 - 8 of 8 Posts