1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really enjoyed shooting my .400 Corbon 1911 at the Nationals. I was the only competitor shooting 400CB since Peter Pi was a no show. The 10mm was in short supply also.

My loads were 127 PF by the chrono at MISS, although I was trying to make 135 PF. Apparently, it is a little finicky about lighter loads, so I will continue my load development. My load was 5.6 gr of Universal with a 155 gr jacketed bullet.

Although initially I had a few problems with ejection due to my wimpy loads, the "king of feedway stoppages" has absolutely no problem getting a .40 caliber bullet into a .45 caliber hole. It feeds flawlessly. My ejection problems were eliminated by using a solid rigid wrist isosceles technique instead of the quasi Weaver technique that I used for the first two stages.

As might be expected, its recoil and muzzle flip were negligible, which made shooting it extremely easy. I didn't even finish last in my div/class, as I have always done before, so it must have helped.

Thanks to everyone who stirred up the controversy for getting me interested in the project. I will probably shoot it again next year, for grins and to test out my load development.

Claude

·
Super Moderator
13,518 Posts
Mr. Headhunter,
So you couldn't master the Weaver and had to resorted to the Isoceles to control the Ancient Pathetic Blaster. Seems like a waste of good brass to me, squishing a little bullet in a case that is too big for it. 127 power factor? That's about like a 9mm. I shot the National and my power factor was over 180. I guess that's why they call the ESP division, the cheater's class.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Overheard at the Nationals.

"Damn, what a waste of perfectly good .45 brass."

Mark

[This message has been edited by Mayonaise (edited 10-18-2001).]

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My next project with the Corbon will be to work up a 165-170 PF load to see how it compares with .45 ACP at that same PF.

It has been opined by some very knowledgeable shooters that .400 CB would be more controllable and easier to shoot for a given PF than .45 ACP. Hackathorn asked me to undertake a little research on it.

For all you .400 CB and 10mm shooters out there, if you have any pet loads in this PF range, please pass them on to me. I would appreciate your assistance.

Claude www.shooterscoach.com

[This message has been edited by HeadHunter (edited 10-19-2001).]

·
Super Moderator
13,518 Posts
It looks like you're the only one that shoots the "cartridge looking for a purpose". I haven't seen anybody jumping up with their favorite gamer loads.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Apparantly, the .400 CorBon has not gained popularity like the .357 Sig has. Anyone here care to speculate why that is? It seems that the trend of following police departments choices for weapons continues. If a larger police department took on the .400 CorBon as their standard duty caliber, what then would happen?

Steve

·
Registered
259 Posts
For me, when it comes to reloading, the .357 Sig is much easier to reload. The .400 Cor-Bon is rather tempermental to get a good bite on the bullet. The Sig has never given me any trouble.

As for reason it has not been adopted by law enforcement, could it be that Cor-Bon is the only source of ammo? Their stuff is good, but they will never be accused of giving it away. Several manufacturers make the Sig round and the ammo prices have really dropped in the the last couple of years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts