1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some 165-170 PF competition loads for .400 Corbon. If anyone has any they would like to share, I would appreciate it.

------------------
Claude

·
Registered
157 Posts
Start with .45ACP load data in the bullet weighs you are looking at. After all, it is a necked-down .45.

If what you want are 135's at 165PF, I'd suggest a chrono, take a press to the range and a supply of bullets and WW-231.

I know the load data for full-power ammo that Cor-bon sends is spot-on. My testing produced exactly the velocities they said it would.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have a Bar-Sto .400 Cor-Bon barrel fit (by Bar-Sto) to my Kimber Stainless Target. I used the reloading data from the Cor-Bon web site, and found it way too hot for my gun. When I loaded my rounds to their EXACT suggested starting loads for AA #7, I was getting much faster velocities than what they list with their max loads. The chrono measured over 1450 fps with 155gr XTP's! These loads were obviously too hot for my gun, and the primers (and chrono) proved to be good tattle-tales.

I measured OAL for loaded rounds before and after chambering them to ensure that the bullets were not being pushed into the case. There was no difference with new brass, but when I used once fired brass, the OAL shortened somewhat. Now, I only use new Starline brass to avoid this problem, but I still have to load a full grain under Cor-Bon's starting loads to keep velocities within sane parameters.

I notice the new .400 Cor-Bon brass has a sm. primer pocket, but I haven't tried any yet to see if it makes a difference.

I would like to try a crimping dies similar to Lee's factory crimp die for bottlenecked cartridges.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts