1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the chance to get a Stainless Loaded .40S&W 1911 for what seems like a pretty good price and I have a couple of questions for the gurus (you guys).

I have heard that Springfield will often honor their warranty on used guns, has this been your experience?

How is the reputation for reliability with the .40S&W 1911s?

Will 10mm magazines work for the .40?

Thanks much!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Springfield .40 S&W

I have a custom .40 S&W, based on their Model PX9155L and use the .40 cal mags available from them. They aren't expensive so I buy six for each pistol and etch them with a number; rotate them and junk any that give a problem.
To properly function, one would normally see a small spacer added to the back of the magazine, to properly set out the cartridge. A .40 is shorter O.A.L than a 10mm, and a 9mm shorter yet.
Point is, I match magazines to the pistol and to the caliber.
I have about thirty 10mm mags for the Colt Delta Elite but wouldn't consider stuffing them into the Springfield .40. One should seek the utmost in reliability...yet the .40's may possibly be identical to Sprinfields previously mfg'd 10 mm's.
Call them: 800-680-6866. They are very helpful and you get the straight scoop......not my ramblings. When all else fails... ask for Deb Else of the Custom Shop. She is very sharp!
Regards :)

·
Administrator
13,261 Posts
Hey Matt
I don't think there is a definitive answer to your warranty question . Their warranty is supposed to be limited to the original purchaser . I have however sent them more than one pistol that we took in on trade and had repairs that we felt they needed to address . In most cases , we were only out some shipping . Even if they do charge you for a repair , it's usually a minimal charge .
Visually inspect it before you purchase . Look for anything out of place or damaged . Check for "shade tree mechanic" modifications [feed ramp , barrel throat] . Test fire if possible . Or get return priviledges if it has functioning issues . If it looks good , then ok .
We haven't sold too many 1911 .40's . I don't remember any problems . When first introduced , I seem to recall Colt having some reliability problems .
I would stick with .40 cal mags . I believe Mec Gar makes an inexpensive one .

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies!

I haven't seen the pistol yet. I hope to get a look at it before Christmas if it is still around.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts