1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Sure, I like Colt Anacondas...if you can find them. Hopefully, Colt will be re-tooled in time to produce them again in 2006.:rock:

·
Registered
65 Posts
M629

I own a Smith & Wesson M29-2 with a 4" barrel. This is one of my best shooting guns and I have always maintained that if I had to get down to just one revolver the M29 would be it. I recommend that you take a look at a M629 (since the blued version is no longer made).

Regards,
Dave

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had a Colt Anaconda in .45 Colt for awhile, but the darned thing misfired terribly. Good design; if it were done right it'd make a great gun.
I'd recommend you look at S&W, unless you're the kind who takes the maximum charge in the reloading manual and adds 2 grains - then go Ruger. :)
I've got one of the early 629 Mountain Guns, and it's just wonderful; a great carry and recreational shooting piece, but with enough sand to take some hard loads when the occasion requires. If stout loads comprise standard fare, the Ruger Redhawk would be my pick. If six-inch flames from the muzzle are a prerequisite, then maybe the Super Redhawk!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
What are you using for? I have a S&W M29 6" that is reliable and deadly accurate. Used it as bear medicine in Maine, and for deer. The 44 mag was a bit wicked on deer so I usually use 44 special instead on those critters. The Super Redhawk is a great pistol, too. Good luck in your search.:)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Dang you gonna have me spending big bucks again!!!!!

Brass Balls said:
I have two big bore revolvers, a Ruger Super Redhawk .454 and the one below which is a S&W Performance Center 629, .44 Mag called the Stealth Hunter. The PC gun cost about $200 more, however in my humble opinion it was worth every cent. It runs like a Swiss watch.

What a top looking pistola! I gotta get one without the flame thrower!

All my 44s have been Ruger SAs so far. A Vaquero, a New Model Blackhawk, both with 5.5" Bbls (my favourite length) and a 7.5 " Biley Blackhawk (got rid of it because it bit my big hands big time!). Very happy with the SAs, but Redhawks and Smiths are also nice. The Smith is the better looker, but the Ruger is bomb proof.

OOps! Just editing, Is that a port on the Bbl? looking at it the second time, I'm not so sure. Not into ports, deaf enough already, I'll just hang on and ride it out thanks.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
I own three Ruger Redhawks in 44mg in stainless one 5 1/2" barrel and two 7 1/2" barrels. I enjoy shooting all of them but I like the 7 1/2" barrels better because of the extra weight up front it has less recoil. I have been planing on getting a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44mag with a 10 1/2" barrel maybe in stainless too. I want it for handgun hunting. I have owned a Ruger Super Blackhawk 7 1/2" barrel in 44mg before and i traded it in for a redhawk when the redhawks first came out. The only thing i hate about rugers are the grips or maybe all the handguns just don't feel right to me with standard grips. I put pachmayr presentation grips on all my ruger handguns. The only thing that gives the ruger magnum redhawk revolvers the edge up is they have no screws to come loose when a magnum is constantly hammered.

I have had bad experiences with my colt python going out of time and all of my 1911's with sights comming loose.:scratch: My only other choice for a revolver in 44mag would be a ruger super redhawk. Maybe an older S&W model 29 6".

·
Banned
190 Posts
Smitty 629 DX Classic

I luv my 629dx classic 44 mag. This is shooting V-110 loads from a rest at 100 yards. This is my deer hunting load.

·
Registered
94 Posts
What will you be using it for? Pack gun, hiking, Bear, target what?
How much money are you willing to part with?
I had a Titanium/Scandium 3" Ported 44 mag from the S&W Custom Shop that got recalled. Smith offered me a deal, they had to destroy my gun however took the stainless 3" ported barrel and matched it with a stainless round butt grip 629 and melted all the edges including the cylinder and gave it adjustable sights. It came back awsome!

Mine is primarily a pack/hiking gun for backwoods bear country.

I personally do not like the grip cut of the western revolvers, they don't sit quite right in my hand. Just personal preferance.

·
Registered
89 Posts
44 mag

I own a Ruger new model super black hawk 5.5 barrel in 44 mag and have no complaints. Except for the grips, needed something with a little more surface area. I installed pachmayer decelerators. They work great for me.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.