1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need your experience, folks. I know well the feel of a 45 now. My Hi Power is on layaway, and I'm thinking about a 357 revolver. How do the 357 and 9mm kicks compare to the 45?

Mikey

·
Registered
133 Posts
In my opinion (and everybody has different recoil tolerances) a 9mm is the lowest recoil, sort of equivalent to a sharp +P 38 spl round, the .45 next up as a distinct shock and worst of course is the .357.

Even in a full size (ie 686 / GP100) revolver, using full power, headbanger 125 gr .357 rounds moving at 1450 fps and getting 500+ ft/lbs of recoil, the .357 takes a bit of getting used to.

But there are quite a number of variables...size of gun/power of cartridge. For example, using a milder .357 like the Golden Sabre in a snubby size revolver, while not overly pleasant is quite controllable and accurate. Sure wouldn't want to use full power .357 loads in my SP 101 though.

For the longest time I carried a Colt Defender...before going back to a full size 1911 primarily. I practiced with alot of 185gr +P and 200 gr +P .45 ammo in my Defender and it was downright unpleasant.

But, when I started shooting .357 or .38spl+P ammo in my SP 101, it didn't seem as bad due to all the nasty stuff I had been practicing with in my small Defender .45

I really feel the more you practice with a particular type of ammo/gun, the less of a factor recoil becomes...and that includes .357 mag stuff.

·
Registered
983 Posts
(All IMHO, with guns I've experienced).

The 45 kicks comparitively slowly to the other two. Partially it's the big heavy slow round, partially that you have a slide moving back, distributing the punch of recoil over time.

The other two give sharp stabs. Compared to the 45, 9mm doesn't kick much at all. 357 mag (REAL 357 magnum ammo) kicks pretty hard, and stabs pretty hard.

I'm not sure if in reality a 357 magnum revolver is pushing you as hard as a 45 overall; but it delivers it in a sharper dose.

Hope this helps; but the best way is to try them out at a range that does rentals.

Battler.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
.357 is only a handful in the lighter guns with short barrels (less than say 4"), and the blast is then perhaps the biggest factor of all.

Ditto, 9mm but to a lesser degree. But the character of the recoil of pistols is different from revolvers. In a locked breech recoil operated pistol like the Hi-Power, the 9mm is not all that tough - it is alittle "sharper" in character, and the report likewise. But if you have no problem with a .45, the recoil of the other two shouldn't be either.

·
Registered
226 Posts
After a day of shooting .45 in a GM 1911, the HP in 9mm was like shooting a .22. There is no comparison. But the .45 is pretty mild in a GM. In my compact aluminum frame CDP it is a little worse but still not bad. .357 in a 686 4" was a definite kick, but still very controllable. I like to index my weak thumb against the back of the cylinder on the 686 (that half-moon part on the frame, not the cylinder itself -ouch-) and I think that increases the felt recoil, but it lets me control muzzle rise better and gives me more controllability. That said, I can shoot .45 and 9mm all day, but wouldn't want to try it with .357, especially with one of those lightweight snubbies. Mega pain!! Later.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The problem with the 357 is not the recoil but the noise and blast. The 357 is at it's best in a full size gun L or N frame Smith, or one of the Colts like the Python or Trooper. I prefer one of the N frame Smiths for around the farm or as a truck gun. The 1911s or the Browning are small slim little guns, ideal for around town.

------------------

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ruger GP100 .357, with pachmayrs. Not really a carry gun, but a heckuva powerful well made weapon. I have had one for a long time, it's a great woods gun, or truck gun. Very accurate and the report is not necessarily quiet, but the kick is not bad at all. again, mine is a 4", if you go shorter than that, you get stronger kick. I rather like the feel of the .357 kick, very comfortable, not violent at all. Get one!

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I shoot 9mm most, .40SW regularly, 125 grain .38 target load and 158-grain standard .38 spcl. I have past shot .45 ACP, .44 spcl, .357 and .44 magnum.

The 9mm in a 1911 gun has very little kick. A little above a .22, but below either .38 or .40SW. The .40SW kicks about 30% more than standard factory 9mm. I think the .40 is about the same as my 158 grain .38 spcl (the 125 grain .38 is lower but more than 9mm). .44 spcl and .45 are well up but the magnums kick like a mule. The .357 has a very sharp whack.

Be advised that all felt recoil is highly dependent on gun weight, barrel length, type of grips, and bullet grain weight.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Originally posted by bountyhunter:
Be advised that all felt recoil is highly dependent on gun weight, barrel length, type of grips, and bullet grain weight.
I'll add that felt recoil varies between types of guns too - pistol or revolver. I prefer revolver recoil to pistol recoil.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I've never shot a 9mm that I thought kicked much. I've only shot full size 45's and I rather enjoy their recoil. The 357's a different story. The recoil itself doesn't bother me in 6 inch guns, but in 4 inch or less it becomes somewhat unpleasant. I'm speaking with full power loads. But the big thing for me is the noise. I usually shoot at an indoor range and I can't hardly stand next to someone shooting a 357. Indoors it's just obnoxious. Outdoors is not bad at all.
Hope this helps, Max

·
Registered
284 Posts
You've gotten lots of good advice so far.
I could hardly add anything to it.

I agree the .357 is a headbanger load. I hate to be next to someone on the range who is shooting full power .357

As a confessed HP fan, in my experience, it is one of the easiest combat handguns to shoot fast and well. You will be pleased.
In fact, I often find the gun a bit boring it is so easy.

Don't be put off getting a .357, you can always shoot .38's. Then put in the hot stuff for your buddies

·
Registered
152 Posts
The .357s bark is worse than its bite. The muzzle blast from full-power loads (to me, this is 125 JHPs at a measured 1,750 FPS) can be disturbing, but the recoil is, at best, moderate. I was shooting such loads yesterday in a 4" S&W M13 with no discomfort. The recoil of the 9MM? Pretty much zilch. I demonstrate to others this round's lack of recoil by holding my M39 between thumb and forefinger and pinching the trigger for rapid fire. I can easily control the gun even holding it with only two fingers. On the .45 the recoil is really the mass of the slide moving rearward. I once held the slide closed with my off hand and was amazed at the lack of actual recoil from firing. Recoil is mostly in the mind.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Originally posted by SaxonPig:
On the .45 the recoil is really the mass of the slide moving rearward. I once held the slide closed with my off hand and was amazed at the lack of actual recoil from firing. Recoil is mostly in the mind.
If I read this right, you're saying that you can hold the slide closed throughout the shot? Leaving the spent casing in the pistol?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yup. Just grab it with your off hand and pull the trigger. Doesn't take much pressure to keep it closed. I guess it might be useful should you ever desire to not leave spent shell casings at the scene... I mean the site where you were shooting.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I always though of the .45ACP as that big push in your hand, as the flying lead ashtray went downrange! The 9mm is sharp & barky. Fullhouse .357's can be down right nasty! But, as I understand it, the .357 still is the #1 all round manstopper. I own and shoot them all. Still the big .45 is still the best! Nobody Lies to a .45!
Regards, NAA.

------------------
Colt 1911: Best damn "Government" in the World!

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Saxon, will you post the videotape of you firing your .45 while holding the slide closed? I need reassurance before I try that.

Lefty

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
The .45ACP is still tops for me! NAA.

------------------
Colt 1911: Best damn "Government" in the World!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I think you should get some really good Colt 1911 45s. Its fun to get an S70 Government tuned just right. Like mine now is. And shoot and shoot and shoot at any distance up to 25 yrds. My shooting friend likes the revolvers. He had a Ruger .357 something that was stainless. I shot it 2 times and then a dud. So don't think revolvers are fool proof. My S70 is now fool proof. And the man who did the tune is soon to see business. From me and those with troubled 1911s I talk with locally. Have a good one, I got a dirty S70 needing my cleaning ability.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Good point about shooting the 38's out of your 357. That has to be the easiest least recoiling and quietest shooting there is.

BTW, I'd like to see that video too.

·
Registered
152 Posts
JP- I don't have any videotape of doing this. I only did it once by accident when the firing pin spring "hung up" and caused an AD while I was holding the slide with my left hand. I was startled when the gun went off, but no injuries or damage (except to the carpet over a cement floor). I dropped the mag and pulled back the slide back to find the spent casing in the chamber. I wasn't even trying to hold it closed while firing, I just happened to have my hand on the slide when it discharged.

I am not sure why you would want to do this on purpose, but I assure you that it is possible to hold the slide closed while firing a Colt 1911 loaded with mil-spec ball ammo.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts