1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I bought a New england Arms single shot 45-70 in order to play with big bullets at 300 yards.

Any thoughts on brass, moulds, lube, etc would be appreciated.

Right now I'm hoping that an oven hardened 100% wheel weight 450 grain plain base bullet will do the trick.

I don't know what kind of accuracy to expect with Unique/2400 loads, but it should keep me occupied.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Walking Point:

I mostly shoot "bought" 500-525 gr. (like Lyman 459125) hard cast bullets over 63-65 grs. Goex or Swiss of FFg - but sometimes use between 28.5 - 30 grs of A 5744 when I don't want the longer clean-up. For BP I fill the case, use a veg. card wad over the powder and compress slightly (use compression die and NOT the bullet)and seat the bullet right on top (airspace is a BAD, BAD idea).

SPG is the lube to use. For Brass, Winchester has been fine (and it holds a little more BP than some other brands). All this for a Shiloh Sharps - Montana Vintage Sights (sights alone come close the the cost of a 1991A1). I live in the East, so 400 yrds is about the longest range I can easily access. From a rest or cross sticks, 1.5 minutes can be achieved.

By the way w/ Remington factory 405 gr., the rifle will hold sub 1 minute groups at 200 yards - w/ open sights. A lot to be said for those tight chambers, heavy bar. and light double set trigger!

Have fun and load safe,

Roger D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts