1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

I have been shooting for one year now with a Springfield Armory 1991-A1, 9mm. Although this is going very well, I want to make the change to a .45 ACP now, because I think that this calliber is slightly better from a ballistic point of view and I really want to do some shooting in a competitive way. My interest goes to buying a Kimber or a Dlask. Can you all please give me some advise, share some experiences with these weapons and perhaps even better, give me some advise regarding buying a 1911, .45 ACP.

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
652 Posts
I know nothing of Dlask pistols. Kimbers are as good as any, and in my experience, more accurate out of the box than most. I, in general, shy away from Series II Kimbers.
The main piece of advice I have for you is, that you owe it to yourself to go .45.
Welcome!

·
Administrator
73,386 Posts
The term "1991" is something Colt uses, not Springfield. I suggest you get a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec or Loaded, since the new Kimbers tend to have problems related to their proprietary external extractor and Series II firing pin safety. If you can find a Colt 1991 or XSE at a decent price they'd be good as well, although simply finding one can be a chore.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tip DSK but Springfield does use the name 1911 as well. My Springfield is engraved "Springfield Armory 1911-A1"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just didn't read your reply good enough DSK, sorry for that. I mistyped my first post. That should have been 1911 instead of 1991 .

·
Administrator
73,386 Posts
No prob. I'm just glad that Colt longer puts "M1991A1" huge letters on their slides anymore. They always looked to me like somebody was making cheap imported knockoffs of Colt pistols.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DSK, Perhaps you can help me with this one. Les Baer, Kimber, Dlask, they're less expensive in the US than they are here in the Netherlands. Is it very hard to import a weapon from the US? (Is It possible anyway) ?

Thanks

·
Administrator
73,386 Posts
I have never heard of a Dlask 1911 either. Unfortunately to be able to export firearms from the USA involves a lot of red tape and expense, which is most likely the whole reason why they're more expensive in Europe.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned about Kimber's external extractor on a full size gun (the problems were with the shorter barrel guns) or the Series II issue which has all but gone away in the last two years.
Get the gun that feels best to you if you are going to compete with it.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Dlask said:
DSK, Perhaps you can help me with this one. Les Baer, Kimber, Dlask, they're less expensive in the US than they are here in the Netherlands. Is it very hard to import a weapon from the US? (Is It possible anyway) ?

Thanks
It's a bit tedious but not too hard. Your U.S. dealer has to fill out some forms and wait. Duties may be a problem at the destination, however. The biggest hurdles I've experienced involve the buyer getting permission to import a firearm.

I have used Larry's Guns in Maine, USA, several times. The site is http://www.larrysguns.com/ . Contact them directly. He's a Les Baer dealer.

Richard

·
Registered
773 Posts
Just my two cents, but on a mid-range 1911 I'd probably go springfield. The Series II kimbers concern me on a lot of fronts, and in general I refuse to support the proliferation of lawyer safeties.

On the high end, there's lots of manufacturers with slightly different focuses. My best experiences have been with Ed Brown, Wilson and Nighthawk, and my worst with Les Baer.

·
Administrator
73,386 Posts
Dlask said:
You've never heard of a Dlask 1911, DSK? Check them out on www.dlask.com
Fine piece of art I would say.
Oh yay, yet another custom 1911 manufacturer. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
300 Posts
In picking a .45Acp in a 1911 I would go with Sprinfield or Les Baer not Kimber I had no luck with one and sold it.

As far as competition, a .45Acp cost alot to shoot in either IDPA or IPSC I shoot my 45 in both but I use my 9mm in both, my 9mm is a Springfield Xd 5 nich tactical, I shoot Prodution in IPSC and there are several areas it covers in IDPA and I shoot L-10 with my single stack 45 now if you want to shoot Limited go with a 40S&W only reason it holds more bullets. you have to know what Competition and what and what area you want to shoot in before you buy a gun, if you buy a double stack 45 you can shoot both limited and L-10 but in Limited you will be at a disadvatage by capacity of 45 versus 40 S&W, 40S&W is the most popular in USPSA or in your case IPSC here in the States anyway, so see what there shooting their before you buy.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Dlask

Dlask is actually a Canadian Company. The guy does great work. Buddy of mine just had a custom build.

Approx. 1400.00 Canadian dollars for a Tactical 1911. Rock solid, too bad I can't afford that right now.

Check out: www.dlask.com
http://www.dlask.com/

1 - 16 of 16 Posts