1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While at the range yesterday I noticed something a little peculiar.
I was shooting some of the "NATO" spec .45acp. My Gold Match and some other 1911 45's love this stuff. However in my Sistema I noticed slight but frequent frequent bulging around the firing pin mark on the primer. This ocurred only with this pistol and only with this ammo. I am wondering if this ammo is loaded to higher pressure than typical over the counter .45acp ball. Is this problem due to overall looser military tolerances or do you think the firing pin or hole may just be worn. The thing that struck me as strange was it wa just with this particular ammo.

------------------
Guns don't kill people,
People kill people!

·
Registered
843 Posts
Hmmm. Didn't know there was any such animal as NATO spec 45acp. Guess it just proves the old saying that we're never too old to learn somethin' new. Anywho, my guess is that the firing pin is worn or the firing pin hole is slightly enlarged; possibly a little of both.-TR

[This message has been edited by TangoRomeo (edited 10-31-2001).]

·
Registered
479 Posts
Maybe the primers are a bit soft in this ammo, could be that they are hotter too.. If it isn`t hapening with other ammo i wouldn`t think it`s the gun.. I know Baer pistols have a smaller firing pin hole to prevent this from happening..

·
Administrator
74,363 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TangoRomeo,
I didn't and or don't know whether there is a NATO specification .45acp loading or not.

This ammo was purchased for Natchez Shooters Supplies. It is damn good ammo. It is supposed to be brand new non corrosive ammo.
The headstamp on the brass is stamped Federal. This Federal stamping is said to indicate the manufacturer. There are also four capitalized letters in addition to the Federal stamping and .45 acp. Those letters are "NATO". The vendor advertised this ammo as "NATO Spec".

So whether or not there is an actual "NATO Spec" .45acp is a mute point.

What I am interested in is why this ammo appears to be too hot for my Sistema, which is supposedly a "MIL Spec" pistol and not in my newer 1911 pattern pistols.
Incidently the perceived recoil is a little greater with this ammo than with over the counter .45acp ball.

Thanks!!

------------------
Guns don't kill people,
People kill people!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Could be that it's just hot. Could be that your pistol has some headspace differences that this ammo shows...Could be that this ammo is hot...Gettin' a pattern here aren't I? Hard to know withoput havin' it here to see. If you're worried, don't shoot it...These old pistols are...well, old...and the ammo is too...who knows?

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

!!!Molon Labe'!!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
could also be the firing pin hole in slide is larger on the systema colt too

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I've been thinking about this for a while, AC's. You said
This ocurred only with this pistol and only with this ammo.
That seems to say that the NATO ammo didn't exhibit the problem in your name-brand 1911s, and that the other ammo you've run through the Sistems doesn't show the phenomenon.

I haven't come up with any ideas that seem to fit. On the face of it, it seems impossible. But just maybe, the Sistema chamber is a little tight.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
843 Posts
AC's,

I apologize if my earlier post left the impression that I was in any way taking you to task regarding the NATO spec deal. That was definitely not my intent.-TR

·
Registered
134 Posts
NATO ammo is usually loaded to much higher pressures than standard or even +P ammo. Standard pressure for a 9MM is 35,000 cpu. +P is in the order of 36,500 cpu. NATO pressure for the 9MM is 42,000, substantially hotter. I'm not sure about the exact numbers on the 45 so I'm not gonna go there for now. Another thing alot of folks arent aware of is that there are different chamber ratings on firearms. Military style guns have a "NATO" chamber which is much more reliable with high pressure ammo in sustained fire than "standard" presure chambers that are found on all other types of firearms like hunting rifles.

[This message has been edited by Captain (edited 11-05-2001).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts