1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been finding some base at the range which looks like new once fired Winchester brass that has a much larger flash hole. Somewhere between 0.128 and 0.136 inches. Are there reloaders or manufacturers looking at different flash hole sizes with some of the new primer mixes?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
You are probably seeing WinClean ammo cases. They have an enlarged flash hole. The range where I shoot requires that you use WinClean in their rental guns, so I imagine there is a lot of it left around there, too.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
22,202 Posts
Winchester says WinClean brass gives normal pressures with normal reloads. I don't sort it out for IDPA and IPSC but I would for bullseye, until and unless I could show it was accurate enough.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have seen the same thing, only in Winchester cases, and thought they were enlarged for those plastic training bullets. I set them aside, in a box somewhere, but have not mic'ed out the hole diameter yet. I set them aside because I know the ones used for the plastic trainers were never to be used for normal loading. Now I am curious. Anyone out there know for a fact on this subject??

·
Registered
39 Posts
Now that I found the brass (all Winchesters too), I can barely mic the hole out with calipers, but I get about .125"-.132" for hole diameter-pretty damn big. Don't know if these were WinCleans or whatever, but I won't load them until I know for sure that Winchester will stand behind those casings for std. reloads.

·
Registered
252 Posts
This brass is Winchester WinClean. The primer has no lead. The difference in brisance(flash) requires the larger flash hole. Winchester assures that they reload just like any other brass. I've been using them for 8-9 months and see no signs of pressure and when chronoed at IDPA matches there is no difference between these cases and any others with the same load and primer.
I read an article several months back about this but can't quote the issue. Check back issues of the Rifleman.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts