1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will my mid power taper crimp .45 ACP loads work reliably in a revolver?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I would think so. Might have a bit of a problem with bullet creep with a plus P type of load. Mid power should be good. JMHO

·
Registered
618 Posts
I use the taper crimp for loading the .45 Auto Rim ammunition for the two .45 ACP revolvers on hand here. Never have had an issue with bullet creep, but admittedly have only ever strived for +P performance in them a time or two.

·
Registered
21,729 Posts
I make no difference in loading .45 ACP for automatic or revolver, taper crimp holds.
Caveat: Hottest I have loaded for some time is power factor 155 for IDPA Rev-E.

·
Super Moderator
14,678 Posts
I use the Dillon taper crimp for 45acp to be fired in my semi-auto's and revolver using moon clips. I also use the same die for loading 45 auto-rim rounds. I don't load hot. Normally 200gr @ about 775fps max. Have never had a problem with bullet creep.

Most likely at some point problems would occur, but I don't know what that point is. "Case tension" and crimp would be significant factors. Meaning, I don't think we can calculate at what point bullet creep would begin. That's probably a trial & error process.

·
Super Moderator
7,624 Posts
Either work fine. For me anyway.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I would agree with Mr. Watson. Neck tension holds the bullet in place in a 45 ACP round, not crimping. But I have never reloaded any of my 45 ACP rounds to "+P" levels, the highest was near max under a 200 gr SWC, for some JIC ammo...

"JIC" is Just in Case ammo, aka SHTF, EOTWAWKI, Bug Out Ammo, etc...

·
Premium Member
6,035 Posts
The difference is in how the action works. An auto magazine doesn't move, so you don't have to worry about inertia walks the bullets out of the case. A revolver cylinder reacts with the recoil, and even a mid range load can cause bullets to walk simply due to their mass.

Like any rimmed revolver cartridge, the .45 AR should be roll crimped. You don't have to apply one as heavy as for a .44 Mag, but you still need one. Not only does it prevent inertia from walking the bullets, but it helps provide consistent ignition for better performance.

·
Registered
15,523 Posts
My experience with this has been unless the bullet has a cannelure that you can crimp the case mouth into you pretty much have to rely on case neck tension to hold the bullet so a roll crimp doesn't really offer much advantage. I shot a 625 with clipped .45 auto rounds for many years and never had any bullets pull and got a good clean burn. This was with FMJ jacketed bullets with no cannelure. To get that firm neck tension I had to turn down my expander button until it was .002 under the bullet dia. You could could see the heel of the bullet expanding the case slightly and the bullets seated quite firmly.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I don't do anything different. Same .45 ammo comes of my Dillon Square Deal and goes thru my autos , Colt and/or S&W 1917. Dillon taper crimp. When I have enough .45 AR brass , I'll swap shell plates.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
How does an 45 acp case headspace in a revolver?

·
Registered
21,729 Posts
On the case mouth, just like an automatic... mostly.
There are some guns out there with deep chambers that require the clip for headspace control, and I am not talking about the first run of Colt 1917s.

·
Banned
13,565 Posts
Load 6 and try em out. Take a black magic marker and run it around the case mouth/bullet junction. As you fire each round....open the cylinder and see if you're getting any creep on each round.

You can even save rounds 5 and 6....stick em in a new cylinder full and fire them last...that will give you a bit of margin in your results.

·
Super Moderator
7,624 Posts
How does an 45 acp case headspace in a revolver?
Moon clips. Mostly.

Sometimes they will headspace on the case mouth, but not always. I ordered my Freedom Arms 83 with a 45 ACP Cylinder and it headspaces off the case mouth.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good stuff, thanks. I will do TRSOtto's trick with the marker.
A friend has a new to him revolver with .45 Long Colt and ACP cylinders. He is having trouble finding ammo so I may give him some ACP to shoot.

·
Registered
21,729 Posts
Moon clips. Mostly.

Sometimes they will headspace on the case mouth, but not always. I ordered my Freedom Arms 83 with a 45 ACP Cylinder and it headspaces off the case mouth. ]
If it didn't you would be S.O.L., no place to put a clip.

From what I have seen and read, blue Smiths like my M25-2 are good on chamber depth, large on throat diameter. Stainless guns good throats, deep chambers.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yeah, I have a mod 1955 with large throats. So, I shoot cast in mine and size them .455. You know what they say - the barrel is the best sizing did we have. I got a bunch of 45 auto rim brass so I can skip the clips.. Mike

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
If the .45 ACP case is loaded with a 250-260 gr. LRNFP at a moderate pace (say 700 f/s), and the O.A.L. adjusted correctly, would the (half)moon clips be necessary? Unless they're loaded so hot that they stick to the cylinder walls, shouldn't ejection by gravity be fairly assured?

·
Super Moderator
7,624 Posts
If the .45 ACP case is loaded with a 250-260 gr. LRNFP at a moderate pace (say 700 f/s), and the O.A.L. adjusted correctly, would the (half)moon clips be necessary? Unless they're loaded so hot that they stick to the cylinder walls, shouldn't ejection by gravity be fairly assured?
Nope.

And they might not even light off in the first place.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I loaded some 255 gr SWC in AR cases for my 1917 Colt using 2400 powder - I like a roll crimp for that combination. I think it helps with complete powder ignition and burn.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts