1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going hog hunting with a 45 ACP.
Any recommendations for a good hunting load? Factory loading or recipe.

I do not want your opinions on whether or not I should hog hunt with a .45 ACP. I am not concerned with if you think it isn't ethical or any of that bs.

Simply looking for ammo suggestion.

·
Administrator
10,872 Posts
I'd like to hear suggestions, too, and I want to know where.
I'm thinking 230 JTC loaded a bit hot might be decent.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
A hot loaded solid in 230 grains or better, preferably something with a meplat. Hogs are tough, the bigger the hog the tougher they get. They also have this annoying habit of attempting to attack things.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What lbs recoil spring are you guys using with these super hard cast offerings

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I don't recall the hogs in NC to be as big as some of the others in the surrounding states. If you know of anyone who reloads, I recommend a hot loaded, hard cast 200gr truncated cone bullet. Back in the day, this bullet with 7.5grs of Unique pushing it was my favorite all-around woods load for the .45acp. FPS is supposed to be about 1150+/- according to the issue of Gun&Ammo I got it off of, although I never Chrono'd it myself.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info. You're right the hogs in NC aren't large at all. I'll be in north Texas hunting them however!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I shoot a lot of varmint with cast bullets. It has been very suprising that the sharpness of the meplat does so much damage. So pay particular attention to this if hunting with cast . For example it's very possible a sharp edge 45 acp will be more effective than a faster traveling 44 mag with a round nose. Be very careful loading and sizing cast so you don't round over the edges of meplat.

·
Registered
857 Posts
As said before, hogs are very tough. Use the hottest load your gun will handle and be careful. Hogs can be dangerous and are a lot faster than you think.

If I were going hog hunting, I would use a shotgun with slugs or my .30-06.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Heavy hard cast with large meplat should penetrate well. It's been working in the 45/70 for quite a while now....devastating results.
We want pictures of your first kill with your 45ACP.

·
Registered
8,277 Posts
Hog loads.....

My preference for hog hunting was my .44 mag..... however, a +P .45acp load should work fine.....

I would consider the self defense round from Cor Bon.....a +P rated 185 gr. JHP with a muzzle energy of roughly 543 ft. lbs., at a velocity of roughly 1150 fps.
I would use at least a 20# recoil spring for this load.....

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/40...p-p-185-grain-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-20

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I've dispatched several using 200 gold dots and one with Federal HST's (230 gr.). Shot placement is a big factor. From the side, between the eye and the ear. From the front, about 3/4 high of a line between the eyes. Behind the shoulder shots are marginal in MHO.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I carry my .40 with me for woods walking, had no problem taking down 150 lb hogs. 1 shot kills to head or neck, stay away from shoulder! Probably gonna switch to Super Blackhawk 44 4 5/8", too many great big ones here!!

·
Banned
321 Posts
Not that I have anything to add to the thread but I must say how cool it is in the radical difference between the east coast / inland region to here in the Rockies. No such thing as wild hogs at all... coyote, sure. Even wolf sightings. Bear walking around the suburbs all the time now (and not just the western foothills ones either), moose walking around the suburbs too... but no hogs.

I presume these are considered nuisance animals there, yes? But at the same time, still descent eating after the kill?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts