1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ordered a dillon 550, now I am looking for a load bullet combination to start with, if some of you could give the brand name of a good bullet, brass, powders and so forth I would appreciate it. I am shooting a Wilson CQB and Kimber Gold Match bith 5 inch barrels.

Thanks

·
Registered
558 Posts
Here is the load I shoot through my Wilson for IDPA, its very clean burining and accurate. 4.5 grains of Vihtavouri N-310 with a E&E 200 grain semi-wadcutter hard cast bullet. I use many different kinds of brass but like Winchester the best, hope this helps.

------------------
Kevin

·
Registered
721 Posts
Ditto the previous comments. The 550 is a great choice. Mine has given over 40,000 rounds of trouble-free service. A cast- bullet load that I shoot in local action-pistol matches is a 230g lrn made by Penn Bullets (www.pennbullets.com) over 6.0g of 231. A little dirty, but accurate and powerful. For jacketed loads, I like Speer's 200g TMJ Match bullet (p/n 4475) over 7.0g of WSF. If you like to plink with 230 grain FMJ, try 5.3-5.5g of HP-38. this load will give mil-spec ballistics, and is reasonably clean. I am currently experimenting with several powders and N340, PB, and Power Pistol are giving good results. (More on this to follow later). Good Luck, and remember the Vets! Semper Fi. MAG-63

·
Registered
131 Posts
You didn't say what type of bullet you want.
A good performer in both my C.Commander and Kimber is a 200gr.SWC, Hogdons "Clays", Mixed brass,Winchester primers. Good for 875 fps.If I need more power I'll use AA #5 which pushes out at almost 1000 fps..I've taken wild hogs with this load. The Clays is easy to get and very clean burning,low muzzel flash. I do not have lead fouling problems with these loads
I didn't give you charge weights as you can get info off the Hodgdon and Accurate Arms Co. web site.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
3.9gr of Clays for a 230gr FMJ bullet. Soft recoil,accurate,makes major for IPSC and clean burning. 'hope this helps and safe shooting!

·
Registered
275 Posts
If you are new to reloading for pistol,you might wanna start with the 230 fmj instead of a semi wadcutter.SWC's can feed or be made to feed very reliably,but a 230 round nose is almost a sure bet to function well. No sense making it any harder than it has to be to start.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The Dillon 550 is a great machine, I have one myself. I use both 230 gr LRN and 200 gr SWC's, 5 gr of 231 for the 230 gr LRN, 5.2 gr of 231 for the 200 gr SWC, Win primers, mixed brass, COL 1.250-1.260. I use LEE dies and a LEE FCD in the last station. Good luck.

D

·
0 Posts
You've made a good choice with the Dillon. I load everything from .32acp's to .45acp's and will soon begin using the RL550 for .308 rifle loads.

For pistols, I highly recommend Alliant Bullseye powder. I use it for everything except a .44 magnum, for which I use H110.
For me, Bullseye burns a little cleaner than 231 (another popular choice) and seems to pack a little more punch.

For 45 bullets, here are some good ones:
Hornady 200 grain fmjct (excellent)
Remington 185 grain mc
laser cast 200 grain swc (best alloy I've seen)
national bullet 200 grain swc (a little cheaper than laser cast and a very close second. Better than I've seen from every other company but laser cast.)

Brass:
Starline (my favorite)
IMI (good prices, very good for the money)

Don't believe what you hear about all the money you're going to save by loading your own. The per unit price per cartridge may be less, but if you're like many of us, you're just going to shoot more...and it's very satisfying to see your shooting results improve along with your loading skills.

Dennis D. Carter

·
Registered
250 Posts
45ACP Cal. load-200gr. SWC black bullet from precision bullet out of Kemp Texas web site www.precisionbullets.com ,over 5.1gr of Winchester super target.Overall length of the cartridge should be between 1.250" and 1.260".Taper crimp,the case should measure .469"at the case mouth. Good IPSC load. I usually use Winchester primers as they feed threw my Dillion press without any problems.This load is not smoky and this Black bullet does not lead the barrel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I load the following on a Dillon 550B:

230gr Hornady FMJ (or any basic 230gr FMJ)
8gr AA#5
Winchester Large Pistol primer
mixed brass
1.275" OAL

or

200gr West Coast Bullet RNFP
8.6gr AA#5
Winchester LP primer
mixed brass
1.235" OAL

Both of these are fairly clean, "standard" power, loads and should be safe in any .45 ACP pistol. I shoot the 200gr load for combat pistol matches and its proved to be quite accurate. The AA#5 is a versatile powder (I also use it for 9mm and .40S&W) which is low flash and clean burning. It also measures very accurately from the Dillon powder measure.

[This message has been edited by proximo (edited 12-10-2001).]

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
45 loads

I am basically going to stick to the FMJ's in 230. As I grow more confident with my reloading I may venture off into others. I am looking for a 230 grain FMJ and get it to moving around 850 to 900 fps.:cool: :(

·
Registered
52 Posts
My favorite "pin" load:

Bullet: 225 gr. Lead flat nose (TC) Laser Cast
Powder: 5.7 gr. of 231
Primer: Winchester large pistol
Brass: Usually mixed (no military)
OAL: 1.265"

This load was accurate in my particular pistol (SS Colt Combat Target w/5" bbl.) You will have to load for your pistol (they all have different temperments). Be advised to only load a few rounds to try out (functioning). It's a b*tch to sit there and pull bullets on 30-50 rounds! Don't forget to install the proper recoil spring for that load. Always approach maximum powder loads for a particular bullet/caliber with CAUTION! Have fun!

·
Registered
466 Posts
It's already been mentioned but it's worth repeating...230gr FMJ RN over 3.9gr Clays...makes major, easy to control and it's clean.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I use a 185 gr lswc made by Star,3.9 gr of clays,a 9lb recoil spring and primers and brass are mixed. I use this load for ppc. Low recoil and very accurate plus economical.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Any 230 gr FMJ or copper plated with 3.5 Clays. Particularly with copper plated since base of bullet is copper not exposed lead. Cleanest load I have ever made. I load these for my wife and makes cleaning her Colt Special Combat w/ fixed nite sites a snap. Also since load is only 3.5 grs. ( economical ) you get 2000 rds per lbs. of powder. ;) Tracy

·
Registered
15,321 Posts
generic "lucky-load"

IMI case (can substitute Winchester or Starline); CCI300 (can substitute Federal 150); 5.2-5.5g W231 (recommend 5.3g); Winchester 230g FMJ (can substitute R-P, Nosler, Sierra, Zero, Montana Gold).
OAL = 1.240--1.265", recommend 1.250" start.
Crimp at mouth = .470-.472"

Mine?
IMI case, CCI300, Winchester 230g FMJ, 5.5g W231, OAL 1.250".

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Wow! What an old thread this is! :)

kforbus,
How about an update, what did you ended up using? ' hope you're still around.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Biker Ken said:
I use a 185 gr lswc made by Star,3.9 gr of clays,a 9lb recoil spring and primers and brass are mixed. I use this load for ppc. Low recoil and very accurate plus economical.
The only difference between my load and yours. I use 3.8 clays. The week end of 10-10-04 I shot a sills match and shot a 52/80 open sight. I have a Kart bar. in a colt frame VERY accurate load. This match was a 35yd. 50 yd 75yd, 100yd. match. A lot of folks wonder why I down load to 185 instead of using 230. The reason is because with a Dillion, reloading experimental loads was SOOOOOO easy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts