1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I switched from Unique/Universal to Accurate #7 because it meters more consistently in the autodisk I reload with, fills the case more, and I also use it for another round. In the past I have had pretty good luck just going with published starting loads and working up based on feedback from the gun and brass, but it was beating up my gun so I finally went out with the chrony to get some numbers. Based on the powely computer model I'm way over pressure. I'm not sure why my results are disparate , am I missing something?

all of my manuals list 45 acp 230gr lead bullet, 9.9gr accurate #7 with estimated 862fps and 19400psi

my load:
9.9gr Accurate #7
KVB-45 primer
oal 1.270 inches
bullet cast from lyman #2 lead alloy, lee 90350 mold, tumble lubed with liquid alox
weight is 230-232gr
bullet length .665 inches
bullet diameter .452 swedged

Para ordnance 14-45 limited, 5 inch barrel .450/.444 bore.

average velocity is 966fps which the powley computer comes out to 37000psi
it's not until I drop all the way down to 7.5gr with an average velocity of 712fps that I get a safe pressure of 19000psi, and that still is somewhat flattening primers and cycles the gun fine, which has a 23# spring right now. ???

·
Premium Member
8,245 Posts
Is that 9.9 on the very high end of loading recommendations? If so, it appears that the powder runs away on a pressure spike near that. Why in the world the 7.5 would still flatten a primer?? I don’t have that data in front of me, but it sounds like something has perhaps been miscalculated?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Put away your fancy calculating computer, switch to a more suitable 45acp powder, and follow the load data in a good reputable load manual.

You're over thinking and over complicating your reloading.

There are far better powders for the 45acp than AA#7.
AA#7 is a slow powder and works best at or near maximum pressure.

Switch to a faster powder and start with a lower velocity and lower pressure load.

·
Premium Member
8,245 Posts
I was going to bring that up after I looked at the Hornady and Lyman books next to me and neither list it. Doesn’t mean much, but to the OP, what is your reference source. I have seen some real doozy misprints and crazy charge tables based on using ridiculous test fixtures.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Better to research bullet and powder combos to try before buying or stay with ole standards . Run a Bing search n 45acp and accurate #7 and its easy to see that it has been one of those problem powders for many home loaders for many years when picking the wrong bullet . That's a warning for me in general to avoid it .

·
Registered
21,844 Posts
Accurate Powders shows abundant data for AA7 in .45 ACP. There is a lot of difference from bullet to bullet of the same weight. 9.9 gr is the starting load for their cast bullet but it is at or near the maximum for some jacketed or plated.

I think your Lee bullet has some characteristic that is building pressure and velocity more than the book says.

I think the Powley Computer is outside its calibration range for plugging in pistol calibers and powders.

My action would be to adjust the load to give 800 fps or so and motor on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
9.9gr is the starting load, 11gr max.

Powder is measured by volume with a lee auto disk, which I verify periodically with a scale.

My sources are Accutate powders online load data tables, a print booklet from Accurate, Modern Reloading 2nd edition, and powderthrough.com. my hornady manual doesn't list any cast lead loads and lyman cast bullet handbook doesn't list any accurate powders.

I'm trying to move to a spherical powder and probably just going to switch loads to cfe or 231, but I would like to know why my results with #7 for 45acp are so far off what is published? It has been working well and fairly predictably in cast lead 9mm loads: 9x19, 9x20 browning long, 38 acp, 38 super, and 9mm largo.

·
Registered
21,844 Posts
Beats me, it just is.

What are you loading 9mm Browning Long for? A 1903 FN or Husky that did not get mutilated to .380? Or something strange like a Webley or Le Francais?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, FN 1903. The original barrel was ringed but I found a replacement in 9x20 that works great.

·
Banned
13,565 Posts
Put away your fancy calculating computer, switch to a more suitable 45acp powder, and follow the load data in a good reputable load manual.

You're over thinking and over complicating your reloading.

There are far better powders for the 45acp than AA#7.
AA#7 is a slow powder and works best at or near maximum pressure.

Switch to a faster powder and start with a lower velocity and lower pressure load...
This. There are a bazillion better powders than what you've chosen.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I like AA#7 too....but it is more suitable to higher pressure cartridges like 9mm, 357 Sig etc....It will work...BUT start at the low end is my recommendation.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,141 Posts
966fps with a 230 is definitely hot, +P, but nowhere near .45 Super levels of velocity, which runs at only 28k psi.

I was running over 13 grains of #7 in .45 Super, was getting 200+fps more velocity than you are, with zero pressure signs.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Accurate recommends #7 for: 357 Sig; 38 Super and .40 S&W. I would stick with what the manufacturer knows.

·
Premium Member
8,245 Posts
Accurate recommends #7 for: 357 Sig; 38 Super and .40 S&W. I would stick with what the manufacturer knows.
That’s just it, their website shows tons of loads for the 45. It also shows a bunch of +P. I was looking to see if they said not recommended for the ACP but they don’t.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Yup!

Powder manufacturers are in the business to make MONEY!

It cracks me up how "we" as reloaders think we can outsmart their recommendations by "trying stuff" to make it better!

If we don't see a recipe it is because the manufacturer has run laboratory tests and the powder/cartridge combination does not meet satisfactory performance or is just plain unsafe.

Looking at loading data across several manuals can vary greatly because of slight variations in components and environmental conditions.

Reloading is a much an art as a science. Follow manufacturers recommendations but be aware that "your mileage may vary"!

All the best in 2020,

·
Registered
9,028 Posts
Accurate shows 9.9 gr as the starting load with the harder than #2 alloy 230gr RN from Laser Cast with a 1.230" COL. I'm not sure what is going on with your program-perhaps if you have the bullet set out so far you don't have a jump to the lands?

Regardless, while Western Powders lists #7 for the .45 ACP I haven't bothered even buying any for that application. There is no doubting that the Accurate powders meter better than Unique and I understand wanting to use something different.

Give the Accurate #5 a try in .45 ACP. For upper end loads it is my favorite in that round and it does well in middle loads for .357 Mag also.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts