1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy New Year
Santa popped for my Dillon 550B and I'm ready to roll. Lotsa reading and research has led to (Hodgdon) Titegroup as my initial powder choice which I will use with Lasercast 230 RN. I visited the Hogdgon site but it is a bit confusing; This is what I found

230 HDY FMJ FP 4.4 = 744 fps 4.8 = 818 15000 - 16700 pressure
230 GR LRN 4 = 751 4.8 = 855 12500 - 17000 "

Although Hodgden does show some loads for cast bullets they do not for 230 grainers.
My objective is to load practice rounds to near factory specs. I don't need less recoil nor do I want to damage the gun. (LB Stinger)
What do you guys think?
As always, your input is much appreciated

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
My objective is to load practice rounds to near factory specs. I don't need less recoil nor do I want to damage the gun.
I would like to ask: What do you consider factory specs? If you want 800-900 FPS and you don't care how you get there...or do you want that velocity/mass and for it to feel like factory? Titegroup will certainly get you that velocity but the acceleration may not be the same. I think the value in reloading is different for everyone. I reload nearly everything I shoot and I go for "comfortable". I like Titegroup for some things, Win231, U.Clays and of course, Unique. I suggest you experiment around a little, maybe 100 rounds from this or that, stepping up from starting grains to a little hotter in a couple different propellants until you get the results you like. Reloading isn't just for saving money, it's also for providing a product you can't buy at any price.

Happy shooting!

·
Super Moderator
14,938 Posts
LRN stands for Lead Round Nose.
To add to what Jim said, a lead bullet is a cast bullet. (Except if it's a swaged bullet)

You ask what we think? I think you should load up 25 rounds using the 230gr LRN's with 4.0gr Titegroup (as per the Hodgdon website) and see how you like them. If you simply must "match" factory specs, you're going to have to decide which factory ammo you want to match, and then buy a chronograph and start the trial-and-error process to zero in on the the desired velocity (in your pistol) to match the factory velocity. You may have to buy that particular factory ammo you want to match and chrono it to find out it's velocity.

If you're shooting in competition, there's usually a powder factor you must make. If these are just "practice" rounds then why not make them as comfortable or as accurate as possible?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Please try....

3.8 -4.0 grains of Straight CLAYS powder also with the 230LRN.....you will like it!

DougC

·
Registered
330 Posts
Load a few first

As mentioned above, load a few first and see how they shoot. I use Titegroup all the time but found it smokes way too much for me when shooting Laser Cast. It was suggested to me to switch to Clays when shooting lead bullets (lubed). Now I use Clay's for Laser Cast and Titegroup for Berry's plated 200gr SWC.

·
Registered
191 Posts
loading W231 with a Berrys plated 200g SWC right now, but a lot of reloaders here say Clays behind a 230g is the bees knees.

·
Registered
119 Posts
clays

Like someone already said...clays 3.8 to 4.0 with 230 RN bullets is the cats meow for 45 acp. OAL seems to differ for some on particular pistols, I load to 1.260 and have had no problems.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,290 Posts
Those Clays loads won't get you anywhere near normal factory velocities. I like 4.2 of Clays with a 200gr bullet, and 3.9 with a 230, but if you want [email protected] or [email protected], you are going to have to go with a slower powder. Winchester 231 or Ramshot Zip work pretty well, but they're sort of dirty. Everyone I know who loads .45 has tried Titegroup, but nobody stuck with it. It doesn't work very well in low-pressure cartridges.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
On the topic of swaged bullets - I would avoid them. They rarely shoot well at high velocity, and the clean up is more intense. A good hard cast lead bullet with proper lubrication is the way to go.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Like many I use Clays with 200 gr and 230 gr lead. Trying to get more power for bowling pins I loaded some using Hodgdons Universal. Slower powder, more speed with less pressure.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Have to say I'm in the Clays 4gr camp for practice with a 200gr SWC and 1.25 OAL. Do like W231 also. But more for 230 FMJ loads... and I don't shoot those as much just for practice.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Like RickB said Clays will not get you factory velocites but it is a good powder for target loads with cast bullets. I load a lot of it using a 230g LRN or TC bullet. WST will get you closer to factory velocities and IMHO is every bit as good as Clays. It is clean with a very slight increase in cost per load. I use it to load 200g LSWC loads.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I load Clays for shotgun and would like to try it for 45 ACP. Using a 200 g LSWC, and Win large primers, how much clays would I need to use to get about the same result as with 5.4 g W231?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I load Clays for shotgun and would like to try it for 45 ACP. Using a 200 g LSWC, and Win large primers, how much clays would I need to use to get about the same result as with 5.4 g W231?
I like 4.1gr Clays. 200gr LSWC, (OTLC), at 1.240"
And I STILL like Titegroup w/ the 200gr SWC Berry's plated bullets I that I stockpiled a while ago.:biglaugh: They have a lot more "POP" than the Clays w/lead, and it meters very well.:rock:

·
Registered
496 Posts
I don't reload SWCs right now, but if you want 230 grn FMJs for practice, and you like Titegroup, try the following"

4.3 grns of Titegroup under a 230 grn Berry's plated with WLP. This is a super accurate soft recoiling load that is great for target shooting

If you want a load closer to "factory specs" try 4.7 grns of Titegroup on with same bullet and primer. Hits substantially harder, and is still quite accurate.

Enjoy your reloading and Happy Shooting!!

·
Registered
496 Posts
So does anyone use Unique anymore?
I am working on some Unique loads right now. 6.0 grns behind a 230 FMJ is supposed to be military hardball equivilant. I am starting a little lower and working up to see what I like.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts