1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am getting back into competitive shooting, I did a little ipsc back in the late 1980's early 1990's. I still have the guns a race gun .45 with red dot and std. .45. It looks like alot of thins have changed it I was away. I guy said I won't be competitive with those guns? But I shound start in d class so won't they be ok to start with have fun and see where this goes? Looking for some feed back. Thanks Bill:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hey y'all, welcome back. I've only been involved in USPSA for the last couple of years so I can't really comment on how things have changed. I'm having a heck of a lot of fun and doing OK for a new guy.

Haven't seen your pistols but don't understand why they wouldn't be competitive. Untill you get to the really big events it seems to me that its the shooter who's competitive, not the weapons so much. Down here on the club level I've seen guys use their carry piece, a favorite old revolver, and sometimes even a youngster, just starting out, with a .22 cal. For most of us its just a fun time with good friends.

Your first four shoots you'll be unclassified, then as a result of those scores you'll receive a class and classification.

Go ahead, register and have some fun, you won't regret it.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,288 Posts
An iron-sighted .45 is perfect for Limited 10. The dotted .45 will be a handicap in Open. I find that reloads cost me 2-3 seconds compared to those who don't have to reload; there's not only the reload itself, but the ammo management strategy to minimize the number of "extra" reloads. On a 32-34 round stage, you'll likely drop five seconds to the 29-round Super shooters, all else being equal. On the other hand, you'll be having more fun!

·
Premium Member
8,549 Posts
RickB,

Are you saying the mag capacity is the prevelant advantage when using 38 Super? Do those guns shoot any "faster" than the 45 ACP caliber?

I am curious since I am getting ready to build a steel and possibly an USPSA open gun. I want to get the thing right to be competitive yet not wanting to get into too much of an equipment race deal.

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Magnumite

I would have to say that the 38super/9x main advantage in open class is mag capacity..especially with the current course design..mags for open can hold up to 29 rounds with one in the chamber..I believe a .40 mag (170) holds about 24.

in the mid-90s 9x25 became slightly popular but died away after a season or two..once course design and round count took away its advantage..

I think depending on skill..you can shoot a 38 super open gun a little faster than a 45 open class gun. but not significantly...other things like reloads, movement will make up the time difference..

if you are building a steel/USPSA open gun..I would go with a 38 super or one of the variants..

if you want it to do more than that..that would be another topic..

Kosales:

I think for fun..a guy could still shoot a .45 dot sighted comp gun and still be OK..is it a para style gun or single stack?? The std .45 would do well in L10 division..

depends on where you want to do your fun..good shooting.

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
JUST GO

We have a number of dedicated 'singlestackstillopticallysightedandcompensated45ACP' shooters because that's what they have.

Nowadays? 9x23 / 38 Supercomp / etc...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
45 race gun

Hi eerw,
It is a single stack .45 on a springfield frame. Thanks for the info. Bill

·
Registered
877 Posts
kosales . . .

I think you should shoot what you have when you're getting started (or restarted). A .45 open gun may not be the ideal equipment for open division, but you certainly can have a lot of fun with it.

After you shoot for a while, you'll know more about what you really want to do. You may decide to have a standard barrel fitted to your gun and put the iron sights back on it. That would make it good to go to Limited-10 or even Limited if you want.

·
Banned
1,607 Posts
Kosales, yes you will be at a severe disadvantage shooting a single stack comp gun. I too would recommend Lim. 10. Get one of the Kart EZ fit barrels. Anyone can put one of these in. The comps on the high pressure 9s and Supers are much more effective than the low pressure .45.
Mag capacity is a big factor also.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Although I now shoot a high cap 9 x 23, when I first began shooting Open, I used a Springfield single stack .45 with an EGW comp and Gilmore red dot. This was a lot of fun and at that stage, the equipment was not a limiting factor. Although there are some 30 round stages, many are not. Usually there is the opportunity to reload while moving between target arrays so the mag capacity is not a big problem. I look at high cap mags more as a tool to miminize mistakes then reduce time. Watch how the Limited 10 shooters manage their reloads and do the same thing.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
kosales said:
But I shound start in d class so won't they be ok to start with have fun and see where this goes? Looking for some feed back. Thanks Bill:confused: :confused:
Just go out and have fun! Then look around and ask around, decide what to go with. I still see some folks using the kind of equipment like you have in my home club. So, just for fun, I think its more than enough. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the imput on the .45 race gun. I will stay with my open .45 and have fun and use my other .45 for limited 10 class and see where I go with it. Thanks Bill

·
Registered
91 Posts
Magnumite said:
RickB,

Are you saying the mag capacity is the prevelant advantage when using 38 Super? Do those guns shoot any "faster" than the 45 ACP caliber?

I am curious since I am getting ready to build a steel and possibly an USPSA open gun. I want to get the thing right to be competitive yet not wanting to get into too much of an equipment race deal.

Mike
IPSC shooters went from iron sighted 45's to compensated iron sighted 45's and then to compensated 38 supers with iron sights and then finaly to dot sighted 38 supers and high cap 38 supers. Each move was a positive progression. The compensated 38 super has a big advantage over the 45 because the 38 super has much more gas for the comp to work with. Lighter bullets also recoil less. For IPSC Open and for steel the 38 super rules. The extra round capacity is an extra benefit.

·
Premium Member
8,549 Posts
PvtColt,

I remember all those progressions from reading the gun mags. I don't have any experience with a race gun except for the try and see econo model I have now. It is 45 acp and I know the comp definitely works better with light bullets and pushing toward +P loads or better. I didn't know if this equated to the 38 super's characteristic. Interesting subject.

Sounds like you have been shooting them so I will keep all you said in mind.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Im not sure if you guys agree, but a lot of those fellas shooting nowadays has advised to me to change from my current 45 with comp single stack to the 40 caliber hi cap frames since time is of essence in ipsc

·
Registered
673 Posts
I would say go out and shoot what you have. Then decide what is going on. I still have a comp'd single stack Colt with a Aimpoint on it in my desk. No I don't try to compete with it becasue I have other stuff to play with.
For OPEN the 38/9mm cartridge is the best allowed now. Most rounds and higher pressure for the comp.
For LIMITED a hi-cap 40 is the deal until they allow 9MM major then the playing field will change again.
For LIMITED 10 alot of people use their LIMTED gun downloaded to 10 rounds but a single stack in 40 or 45 with 10 round mags is just as good if you can reload the single stack as fast as the double stack.

Having said all this the guy holding the gun makes more of a difference. We routinely have the overall match winner a limited or even limited 10 shooter. It depends on the stages and who is there. A good shooter with a limited gun can beat a not so good shooter with a open gun. When the skill level is even then the hardware can and will make a difference.

Reliability is more important than any other trait. If'in it don't work you ain't gonna win.

Shoot what you have and have fun.
Ed

·
Premium Member
8,549 Posts
scalinghammer,

well said. I am in the process of building an open pin gun. I'll try it in steel matches I'll begin shooting and see how I fair with it against the 38 Super/9mm guns. Can't hurt since I am building it anyway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts