1911Forum banner

45 acp Small Primer Brass

268562 Views 967 Replies 367 Participants Last post by  Nitro.45
Picked up a bit of .45 ACP range brass today, tumbled it, and went to load it...then realized those IDIOTS at Federal has produced .45ACP Ammo with SMALL PISTOL PRIMERS!! Unbelievable...I plan to write to Federal and will not buy another Federal product until they withdraw this ammo from the market. Its going to wreak havoc for those of us that reload .45ACP. Try sorting this stuff out of regular .45ACP brass...

If they are trying to save money...load up aluminum cases (ala Blazer). Sheesh
  • Haha
Reactions: 5
1 - 20 of 968 Posts
Very old news. It went bang and was good ammo, when new.
Sort the brass and load in batches.
Also from the way you typed it sounds like you got it free as pick up. So makes me wonder why you are so mad about free brass:confused:
It's the new green primers
They only come in small pistol size
Reactions: 1
Because it screws with my reloading process. When I shoot in competition, you are handed brass and a lot of times its not all YOUR brass. If a previous shooter is shooting this SP crap, it could get mixed up in your LP brass. I really don't want to experience a KABOOM while loading because a SP case got mixed in.

It may be old news, but its still STUPID. .45ACP has been LP for over 100 years with nary an issue. You don't screw with standards, especially in reloading. When I grab a 9mm case, I expect to load it with small pistol primers, when I grab a .45-70 I expect to load it with large rifle, etc...
Reactions: 4
lead free primers as stated above.
Thanks the greenies
I knew that idiot Al Gore was somehow behind this... :biglaugh:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
I bought federal, blazer, fiocchi, and Winchester. They were all small primer. Looks like finding large primer is going to be pretty slim in the future.
the ammo factories don't care if you reload or not. in fact they would wish that you didn't reload.
that's not entirely true

It may be old news, but its still STUPID. .45ACP has been LP for over 100 years with nary an issue......
Over the years, the 45 ACP case has been made with three primer sizes.
Actually.

I know, facts can be so disruptive to a story.
Reactions: 2
the ammo factories don't care if you reload or not. in fact they would wish that you didn't reload.
Bingo.
so.....

I wonder why they sell us components and print data manuals.
I wonder why they sell us components and print data manuals.
To make money?
  • Haha
both ways

They are glad we buy components to reload; they're glad we ("you", not me) buy loaded ammunition.
As long as it all goes down range, who cares what the size of the primer is? I get tons of free brass so I don't worry about batching but if I had limited funds I would load it all.

And how would it go boom in the reloading process? Don't you look at the cases before priming them? I find the small primer cases when cleaning the primer pocket and put them to the side no big deal.
Reactions: 3
I like it.

One less flavor of primer to keep on hand.

In fact, I have swapped over all my 1911s in 45 ACP to 45 GAP.
And how would it go boom in the reloading process? Don't you look at the cases before priming them? I find the small primer cases when cleaning the primer pocket and put them to the side no big deal.
Ummmm...No, I don't. As I stated, I do my inspections AFTER I load my rounds up. I load on the order of 500+ rounds a week and I most certainly do not look at all this brass before I load it. I tumble it and put it in the bin on the Dillon. If you are inspecting your brass and cleaning primer pockets on .45ACP brass, you are loading and shooting WAY less than I am, or you have time to burn. I only do that on my long range ammo loaded on the single stage Rockchucker.

And it would be VERY easy to KABOOM a primer on a progressive when a large primer starts to go into a small primer hole.
It is pretty much a done deal. The characteristics of the lead free Dinol priming compound favor a small primer. You just have to sort them out. When you accumulate a bunch, change your primer feed over, load them up, then pop and drop for somebody else to complain about.
Reactions: 2
I'm fairly new to reloading but have figured this is a change that is here to stay. So, I have two containers for clean, ready-to-load 45 ACP; one marked 'SP Primers' and one marked 'LP Primer.' No problem, just adapt to the change.

'A curve in the road is not the end of the road unless you fail to make the turn.'
I have a friend who also reloads tons of .45 ACP... We swap brass... he likes small primers I favor the large.

Yes we have to sort them.... but both of us reload thousands of rounds during the long Winter so we don't have to reload all summer. If someone is reloading 500 rounds a week all year long.... they need to collect some more brass so that they can reload several thousand at a time.
Because it screws with my reloading process. When I shoot in competition, you are handed brass and a lot of times its not all YOUR brass. If a previous shooter is shooting this SP crap, it could get mixed up in your LP brass. I really don't want to experience a KABOOM while loading because a SP case got mixed in.

It may be old news, but its still STUPID. .45ACP has been LP for over 100 years with nary an issue. You don't screw with standards, especially in reloading. When I grab a 9mm case, I expect to load it with small pistol primers, when I grab a .45-70 I expect to load it with large rifle, etc...

Oh, gee, life threw some gravel in your gear box. That's the way life is. Deal with it and move on. You should be inspecting your brass (and culling damaged or otherwise unuseable cases) anyway BEFORE you run it through your loading process. Sorry that irritates you, but once again that's life.
  • Haha
1 - 20 of 968 Posts