1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which .45 ammo would be good for target shooting and have the least felt recoil? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
RM, I've been using Winchester 230gr HP, I picked up a bunch at the last show for $7 a box, it shoots almost as good as match quality ammo and as to recoil, it's moderate. I just fired 600 rounds of it through my CQB and I'm ready to shoot another 1k rounds.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Originally posted by RM:
Which .45 ammo would be good for target shooting and have the least felt recoil? Thanks.

Any 230gr round moving under 1000fps is all going to feel about the same.
Federal 230gr FMJ is one that I like to shoot. Learn to fire your gun with proper hand position and stance and the recoil will be much less of a problem for you.
Try the modified Weaver. Assuming you're right handed, pushing back with your left hand against your locked right arm will improve your accuracy and help control that recoil. Lean aggressively into the target.
Standing straight up or even leaning back a bit is a very common mistake that even old timers make.

·
Registered
8 Posts
RM,

I agree completely with the post by soujurn. For target plinking I tend to stop by Wally World (Wal-Mart) and pick up a couple of boxes of UMC (generic Remington) or Winchester white box. Both come in 230gr FMJ are cheap and easy to shoot.

Have fun target plinking
pistolero

·
Registered
201 Posts
I picked up some Winchester 185 grn. for my wife to shoot. It's very pleasant to shoot. After 150 rounds she has yet to have a FTF or FTE. With 230 grn. she anticipates recoil a lot more.

Works for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts