1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Hi

If there are it's news to me, there are some strange looking carbines made from a 1911 (more or less), but no lever actions. I think the manufacturers consensus is why bother? If I remember correctly, Marlin or Winchester makes a .44 mag lever action. Others make the .44-40, .45 Long Colt, and .357 Mag, so why bother with a .45 ACP?

Hope this helps.

Mike

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
No. The rimless .45 ACP round would require too much gun modification, and there'd be no real market for it.
Denis

·
Registered
451 Posts
.45 conversion

I remember reading a article in the American Rifleman in the mid 80s about a conversion on a Marlin .44 mag. to .45 ACP. It's stuck with me over the years because I had a Marlin and really liked it. They made a "trapper" type conversion and it worked well, but it wasn't cheap. Sorry but I have no idea what the exact issue was. mal

·
Registered
599 Posts
I have a Winchester Trapper in 45 long colt and a pair of Uberti Colt 45 clones. Boy are they fun to shoot! The lever rifle is fast and easy to point and shoot with little recoil, I'm glad I have one. The Colt 45 clones feel as natural in my hand as a 1911. I don't think there are 2 firearms that feel more like an extension of your arm than a 1911 or a Colt western style revolver. Besides I grew up playing cowboys and ******, the Winchester lever rifle and Colt clones make me feel like a kid again :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Koppo Ken said:
What about a Deleslie Carbine? There's a company that reproduce's them.
The DeLisle is a truly unique firearm. If I recall correctly, they were used in very small numbers by the Brits in WWII. Valkyrie Arms are the people doing reproductions that are supposed to be of very high quality.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
At the risk of sounding like an idiot...

I have never seen the attraction of pistol caliber carbines. If it's bigger than a handgun, I want a rifle cartridge. Maybe that's just me, though. Back when it was a necessity to consolidate ammo (rifle and revolver same caliber) it made a bit more sense, but with todays options, why not a good .45 handgun and a good rifle, in a round more effective than the handgun you already have?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
The .45 acp will work in a lever action, no problem. There was a CAS shooter in SoCal who used one back in the 80's since he could stuff about 16 rounds in the mag, IIRC. HOWEVER- he only used H&G#68 SWC's. While recoil is really light in a gun like this, setting off the primer of a round with an FMJ can happen. As a gamey gun-no problem. For general consumption there are better choices like .44 Mag.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Perhaps I should have been more clear....
the shooter in question had a rebarreled lever gun, stricly for CAS competition. Theres no reason why it cant be done. The round can easily headspace on the case mouth, and the rim of a .45 acp is actually pretty generous, albeit smaller in diameter than, say, a .45 colt.
As a gamey concept, the short OAL of the .45 ACP round means lots of rounds fit in the mag tube.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts