1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to a range with a turret press and loaded a shot one peice of brass over and over again. It was a new piece of Winchester branded brass.

I loaded and fired it 18 times and it was still holding the bullet tightly and did not split.

I got bored and realized that a one case sample was usless anyway. So I stopped.

Makes hording range seem more attractive doesn't it?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Interesting post but does not show the entire picture. Most of the cases I have to replace have been lost not failed.

1) What bullet did you use?
2) How did you crimp?
3) Did you do a normal resize?
4) How hot was the load?

What I am asking is did you do anything special to preserve case life? I did an experiment with my 44 magnum, firing normal magnum loads with a jacketed bullet. I got 15 shots out of it without a case failure, then they started failing. When I went to the Lee factory crimp die, case failure rate jumped up and I doubt I get 10 shots out of a case (I haven't repeated the test with the FCD). I use the die because it improves the velocity consistancy.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
230 grain RN Hard cast molly coat bullet .451 size

seated to 1.255
5.4 grains of Win 231 powder ( ball duplicate load)
crimp with Lee Factory crimp die to .470

Brass was not allowed to bounce on the concrete and the pistol eject cleanly without damage to brass.

What I was looking for was the effect of work hardening the brass. None noted for 18 shots. Like I say I just got bored.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well, it's good to know that I can load my .45 brass for a long time.

I gotta ask though, BigJim, how in the hell did you manage not to go nuts loading and firing only 1 round 18 times? :))

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I have brass I inherited from my wifes grandfather.
Most are military dated in the early 1950's.
He was an avid bullseye shooter, I'm sure they have several dozen reloads on each since they were my brother in laws before they were mine.:D
Eric

1 - 8 of 8 Posts