1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While at a show this past week, I was looking for RN lead 200gn bullets, I have been useing rn200fmj, well the only one I found was for 45 colt, the fellow selling these gave me a handfull of the lead 200gn rn 45 colts to try he said he has many folks useing the colts int he .45acp brass, what I'm looking for is more opinions on this and where to start with powder charges, I have bullsye powder and wincheter primers, they will be in a sa 1911 5" barrel for three gun, i'm trying to get the least amount of recoil and still have reliable feeds, thanks in advance and Happy Thanksgiving!

Tom

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
As long as they are .451 to .452 diameter, not .454, you'll be OK. The larger dia. would not be a safety problem so much, though I imagine it would up the pressure, as it would make the loaded round too fat and likely cause chambering probs.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Originally posted by Ned Christiansen:
As long as they are .451 to .452 diameter, not .454, you'll be OK. The larger dia. would not be a safety problem so much, though I imagine it would up the pressure, as it would make the loaded round too fat and likely cause chambering probs.
I agree. A 454 bullet would definitely cause chambering problems in a normal or tight throat. However, 454 sizing is unusual on the market anymore, so the odds are that it would be 452. By the way, one of my favorite loads for hunting with the 1911 is a 255 grain swc sized to 452. Not real fast, but it knocks down coyotes like a hammer!

·
Registered
458 Posts
I just tested a batch of 200-gr. RNFP lead-alloy purchased from Bonus Bullets (www.bonusbullets.com).

I don't remember the exact load, but I used data out of the hodgdon's manual for 200gr. SWC with Titegroup Powder. They fed flawlessly, and were as accurate as any other cast bullet I've tried so far. --CC

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I would simply caution folks to be aware when comparing overall lengths between a 200LRNFP and a 200LSWC. Very different in my experience, e.g., the 200LRNFP at around 1.175" to the 200LSWC's 1.250-1.260" length.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Try the .451-.452 bullet over 5.0 grns. WW 231 and seat to bottom of the shallow crimp groove. Give it a taper crimp and you're ready to roll. More then accurate enough for GP use. Totally reliable in my Kimber and various mil.-stock copies of the Colt 1911.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
I know several pin shooters that used the 255 gr Colt bullet in there limited division gun and they did a good job on the pins. I would check the bullet diameter to make sure its not larger then .452. I do not recommend them in a open gun because the heavy bullet does not make the comp as effective.
Regards Bob Hunter www.huntercustoms.com

[This message has been edited by Hunter Customs (edited 11-24-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Hunter Customs (edited 11-24-2001).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts