1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently building some loads for my 45 colt Ruger Blackhawk. I am using two different bullet weights a 265 Keith and a 340 WFNGC, both Beartooth bullets.

The 340 over 19-21 grains of H110 are good loads. No pressure signs, but a handful to shoot in the 21 grain load. I settled on the 19 grain load and took a deer with it in December out of my M92 Puma.

The 265 Keith is giving me a bit of trouble. 19 grains of H110 under the 265 Keith gives sticky (and I mean really sticky) extraction. It is not from case bulge, but from unburned powder blowing back and wedging between the case and cylinder wall. Cases are blackened about half way from the case mouth to the rim. I have read loads of H110 up to and over 25 grains, but don't really think I want to get that wild.

I assume that the load is not generating enough pressure so do I up the powder charge? Or maybe more crimp? I don't need insane performance, but would like to get 1150 -1200 FPS.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Herman.

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
Theory only

I might consider a start load of 23.0g H110 under that 265g lead.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Magnum primers

You proably are, but are you using mag primers? When I load H110 in my 357 Mag. I have to use mag primers.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I am currently building some loads for my 45 colt Ruger Blackhawk. I am using two different bullet weights a 265 Keith and a 340 WFNGC, both Beartooth bullets.

The 340 over 19-21 grains of H110 are good loads. No pressure signs, but a handful to shoot in the 21 grain load. I settled on the 19 grain load and took a deer with it in December out of my M92 Puma.

The 265 Keith is giving me a bit of trouble. 19 grains of H110 under the 265 Keith gives sticky (and I mean really sticky) extraction. It is not from case bulge, but from unburned powder blowing back and wedging between the case and cylinder wall. Cases are blackened about half way from the case mouth to the rim. I have read loads of H110 up to and over 25 grains, but don't really think I want to get that wild.

I assume that the load is not generating enough pressure so do I up the powder charge? Or maybe more crimp? I don't need insane performance, but would like to get 1150 -1200 FPS.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Herman.
I would definitely increase the charge weight on the 265-grain Keith

I do not have any exact load data for your bullet but from my Hodgdon manual it list a Maximum load of 24.0 grains of H110 for the 260 grain Nosler for Ruger and T/C

For the sake of argument, let’s say this is close to maximum for your Keith bullet.
If so, you’re loading 20% under maximum with the H110

From my experience H110 should not be reduced more than 3% of maximum.
Hodgdon even acknowledges this, there is ignition problems with H110 when loaded below 3% of maximum charge and with bullets that present low bullet pull (lightweight bullets)
H110 likes high load density in the case and Magnum primers to ignite and perform well.
There are some that have been lucky and had no problems with under loading H110
I have not been one of them; I have had squib loads with H110 when loading below 3% of maximum. I no longer do this.
If I want less horsepower with H110 (Or 296) I just change powders.

I agree with WESHOOT I would increase the start load to at least 23 – 23.5 grains of H110 and apply a firm roll crimp into the groove on the Keith.
This should give you better ignition and fewer unburned residue in the chamber
Good Luck

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
possible

I might suggest Federal or CCI magnum primers (Federal would be my first try).

I would definitely recommend the superior Redding Profile Crimp Die for any 'revolver' straight-wall crimping.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I will up the charge to 23 grains. I am using a Lee factory crimp die that came with the Lee 45 colt die set. I will tighten the crimp some as well. If that doesn't improve things a bit I will move up to magnum primers.

Thanks again.

Herman

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
wait!

Suggest not changing crimp....
....yet.
(since your 'other' load seems fine?)

Suggest changing only one thing at a time and testing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts