1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Kimber Gold Match stainless or Custom matte black I would like to make into a Pin/IPSC gun (mostly Pin). I will probably put Prosights on it and use it for competition only. I would like to know what the best comp and the best comp for the money are? I want a comp barrel assembly. Also, should I get a gunsmith only or pre fit version, mostly intended for pins at 25 ft, but open IPSC is an option. Thanks, Max

·
Registered
484 Posts
The nowlin 3port kits work very well, but if you arent sure how to fit up the gun properly have a 'smith do it. That is a lot of money to spend on something and not have it done right. If you think it is expensive buying it, try replacing it when it is not set up properly. 3ports are OK, wouldnt go anymore than that, not using enough gas to use the ports effectively. You will need to run a power factor of 195 or above. Running 185gr jhps will use the comp better, but when set up you will see a difference with other loads. Good luck and take a friend Pin shooting!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I go about 215,000 for pins. I keep it mathematically simple-- a 215 National Bullet, Keith-style SWC at 1,000 (or a bit more), using Blue Dot powder. Puts a pretty good whack on a pin. But you are right that theoretically at least, lighter bullets going faster will activate the comp better. I think there comes a point of no retrun, but honestly I'm not sure where it is. Some guys are still stuck on 250 grain bullets for pins, some are going as light as 165. 215 seems to be a pretty happy medium for me, but I have not gone so far as to spend a day at the range comparing fast 165's or 185's to my pin load of 10 years.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Amen Ned, I still have a tupperware container of national 215 swc with Enough AA5 in them to run 1050 out of my 6in bbl Second Chance compgun. I guess I havent shot them for nostalgia's sake, hoping to take them back up to Central Lake.
Rumors at the Topton pin match was that again there was hope that Richard will have a match next year. I will take vaction for that time next year but of course wont hold my breath. You really ought to try to make it out to the Topton PIN/STEEL match next year in August, 'bout the best Pin match still around. The PA gang puts on great pin matches, with the Blue Mountain in may, the S. connelsville matches, and Topton's match. Only thing that sucks is the 15hour drive! Barring unforseen problems I will make it to the Berriens Spring match next year. Be safe, DougC

------------------
front sight is good, front sight is good!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've found that the differences running a comp between 185's and 220's hardly matter. (However, Cor-bon 165's in a Ned comp are a different thing entirely.)

Until I find a load that works the comp on a .45 like it does a .38 Super (fat chance) I'll stick with the heavy bullets. I tried some 185's and 230's loaded to the same PF, and found the 230's cleared the pins better. Interesting, since I had the Dillon at the range with the chrono, and made sure both loads delivered 197PF before whacking pins.

I ended up going to Niles with my LRN 230's loaded to 208PF. What I needed was more practice.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
For those of you using compensators, remember this: Comps use the pressure of the gas from the round to reduce felt recoil, and muzzle flip. In order for the comp to work well, it needs gas--LOTS of it. Solution? Use hotter loads, and light-to-medium range bullets. My load for max performance out of my comp gun is a 200 gr. LSWC bullet (HG 68), cast from wheelweights, and sized .452, on top of 7.0 of Power Pistol, with a standard primer. Haven't chronographed them, but they're super accurate, and the gun feels like a .38 Special loaded with wadcutters.

------------------
"Be not afraid of any man, no matter what his size;

When trouble rises, call on me and I will equalize."

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Back when I used the 45acp in a racegun for shooting pins I used a 185 gr JHP bullet moving 1125 fps and this would take the pins off any regulation pin table in the USA. The above load computes to a 208 power factor. I've found over the years of building raceguns that light bullets at high velocities make a compensator work the best. If you are thinking of shooting an open gun in IPSC I would highly recommend a double stack gun. I now shoot a double stack open gun in 40 cal. for Pins,Steel and IPSC and can do it all with just one gun. Good luck with the gun you build and any and all competitions you enter.
Regards, Bob Hunter www.huntercustoms.com

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the replies, I was hoping to see som 4 port Ed Brown fans, but the Nowlin seems to be the favorite, thanks again for the replies. Any more certainly welcome.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts