1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to zero in on a load without trying everything on the books?

I will be new to reloading soon (when it is set up). What effects does one see if the charge is too hot, too light, or your gun prefers (not just operates) other wts, primers, etc.

When you guys settled on a load, what made you stop searching?

More than a question then an avoidence of experimentation desire.

·
Registered
333 Posts
i usualy pick a powder other people have had good luck with and i experiment with that untill i get a load that groups nicely and feels like SD ammo if thats what that particular practice load is for. or i just make a light plinker thats accurate.

as for high pressure loads always start at the bottom end and work your way up slowly. watch the unsuported area of the brass for buldging. watch your primer if its looks very flat you to hot back off a bit. get yourself a reloading book and read it cover to cover they have lots of handy info.

to light of a load wont operate the gun, your slide wont cycle. a light load that does work well operates the gun but is pretty recoil and flip free easy to shoot all day long.

i stop with a load when i can shoot one ragged hole, but thats just personal prefrence.

·
Super Moderator
14,974 Posts
OverHung,

There is no easy answer to your "question". There are just too many variables....different powders, different bullets, different primers, different brand cases, different firearms. Of all of these, the powder choice & bullet choice are the most important (IMHO).

If you really don't want to experiment at all, then here's what I'd suggest. Go to your friendly neighborhood gun shop and buy whatever powder, bullets, & primers they carry & sell the most of. (I'm assuming you already have the empty brass). Then call that powder company and speak to one of their ballistic technicians and ask him what load to use for your particular bullet & shooting desires. They've done all the testing & experimenting for you and can give you the best load for your particular need, whether it be bullseye accuracy, personal protection, or as "hot" as you can go.

But, hey, don't give up on "experimenting". I'll be most reloaders find that to be a lot of the fun of reloading.

Good shooting.....Rod.

·
Registered
398 Posts
OverHung said:
When you guys settled on a load, what made you stop searching?
For the 45, I already had Unique, TiteGroup powders - both had loads for the 230RN FMJ I was going to use. I get a good price on this particualt bullet, and I shoot alot, so that's as far as I looked.

I get TiteGroup cheaper, and it uses less, so it was my first choice.

I loaded up 20 each, starting at recommended start, and went up .2gr each time.

Shot and chrono'd these - among the ones that made the PF I was looking for, I noted recoil and grouping - picked 2 that made major (with a little to spare) and that shot well.

Freehand, I can group it in ~2" at 15yds - at my skill level, it's the best I can ask for so far - as I get better - who knows, I might have to reevaluate

Took these and shot 100plus looking for FTF, ejection problems - both were fine, took the lower - haven't looked back

Did the same with Unique - no differences I could determine - TG it was.

I just bought some Bullseye to try too, and I'll probably try some WST 231 - but for now, I have a great load.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts