1911Forum banner

45 lc as a defense round?

2911 24
I noticed cdnn has taurus snubbies in 45 lc for a cheap $269.
since the 45 lc is a low velocity round I imagine it would make a fine self defense,ccw weapon.
anyone have any thoughts on the ballistics of the 45 lc?
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
225 Posts
Re: WHAT?

Pampers said:
The .45 Colt is arguably, with the possable exception of the .45 ACP, the BEST defensive round you can carry!
I'm mulling over a decision between the .45 (Long) Colt and the .44 special for my "big and slow" defense needs. I don't handload, so I'd be relying on ammo I buy at gunshows.

· Registered
1,094 Posts
If I had to choose between the Taurus tracker in .45 ACP or .45 Colt (long is slang, no such round), and I didn't reload, I would have to go with the .45 ACP. Ammo for .45 ACP is everywhere, from Wal Mart to the local country general store. .45 Colt is expensive, seldom commonly carried by the big chains and when you find it, expensive. Defensive bullet selection is very limited and the only really good load in my opinion is the Cor-Bon 200 grain JHP load. This load is hot and might be too much to practice with in the tracker. Also, most standard pressure loads are anemic since the lawyers have advised the ammo companies not to load smokeless powder loads too warm since they might find their way into great, great grandad's blackpowder 19th century framed Peacemaker. The other trend working against the .45 Colt is the cowboy action crowd. They want loads that are even weaker because they want to "score" with the lightest load possible and that is what the ammo companies are loading. Personally, unless you have a Ruger, Freedom arms or Linebaugh gun and hunt in Jurassic Park, I don't see ANY advantage to .45 Colt in a standard pressure only revolver.

· Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my handloads are cheap

my handloads using militasry surplus from gibrass run under 20 cents each for the 454 and 45 long colt.
carbide dies make loading them quick and easy,and the $269 is a steal of a price.I own quite a few 45 acp autos,but dont own a snubbie yet.
guess my friday paycheck will be slightly short.
:biglaugh:

· Registered
225 Posts
Re: What are the differences in 45 acp and 45 Colt?

Mister Ron E. G said:
My dad and I always debate 44 mag and 45 colt. Can someone educate me on the differences....
I'll admit ignorance, but it seems like you have many more options for factory ammo (and guns) if you go the .44spc/.44mag route even if you can do wonders handloading the .45 Colt.

· Registered
413 Posts
If we are talking about snubbies like S&W 296/696 size, then I prefer the .44 Special to .45 Colt. I really like the CorBon load for .44 Special although there are at least two other good ones. (Federal 200 grain LSWHP or the Blazer load with a Gold Dot.) And I prefer reloading .44 Special. I've just had better results over the years.

Now if we are talking full size guns, there is one special application where I like .45 Colt. The general rural population is more comfortable with someone carrying what they perceive as an "old fashioned cowboy gun." So I sometimes carry my Ruger Bisley Vaquero in .45 Colt when I'm going on long walks down dirt roads. And I carry it with loads I wouldn't recommend for general self defense. I put those CorBon's in it that they load for serious hunting. It is a 265 grain bonded core bullet going 1350 fps. That's over 1000 foot pounds with a bullet with very high penetration. With that bullet I would stand a real chance if some yahoo decided to use his car or truck as a weapon. And it would also be useful if some local bull knocked down his fence and decided to try his horns out on me. When you really need penetration and punch, that load will do it!

Gregg

· Registered
23 Posts
Just my 2 cents y'all

Hate to break it to some of you, but the best (in terms of recorded one stop shots) is actually .357 magnum, followed by .40 s&w and .45 in close second, and then by the good ol' .44.

Surprised me, but apparently the .44 overpenetrates and the extra energy doesn't exactly add much additional stopping power. I guess its penetration and power are what makes it a kickass hunting round. I gotta agree with the above post, .45 LC and .44 are definitely what I'd be draggin along if it were a bull on the loose :).

Feel free to flame me, I'm new here. I haven't even fired a handgun, so can't tell ya much about recoil, all i got is shooting incident stats. Just came from the SigForum, and im going shooting this weekend, maybe they'll have a good 1911 to rent!

P.S. Whats with the lack of double stack 1911s? I would love to own a compact for CCW (yeah, when I'm 21, five long years from now) but frankly if it only holds 6 rounds might as well buy a revolver in .45acp.

· Registered
425 Posts
Re: Just my 2 cents y'all

N3rday said:
Feel free to flame me, I'm new here. I haven't even fired a handgun, so can't tell ya much about recoil, all i got is shooting incident stats.
I don't bet my life on statistics. I bet my life on what I know.

And that for me is what a carry handgun is about.

P.S. Whats with the lack of double stack 1911s? I would love to own a compact for CCW (yeah, when I'm 21, five long years from now) but frankly if it only holds 6 rounds might as well buy a revolver in .45acp.
Even a six shot 1911 is six plus one in the pipe, with much faster load times, typically is much thinner for ease of concealment, etc.

Of course, I don't bother with the tiny ones and carry a full-size with me wherever I go.

· Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I own just about every pistol caliber from 9mm to 50 ae.
a snubbie is easy to conceal,and the double action capability means my wife can feel safe with shooting it.
just grab the pistol and pull the trigger,no slide to rack,no chance of jams etc.
I own quite a few big bore firearms both semi auto and revolver,except I dont currently own a snubbie.
I mostly considered 45 colt as a hunting cartridge,but the idea of 45 colt in a small revolver interests me and no moon clips!

Attachments

· Registered
215 Posts
Taurs 45 Colt Snubbie...

I own one of those and it's a great little gun. It's quite light, pretty small, and hardly any recoil as it's ported. The grips are comfortable too. I don't like rubber on revolvers as it's typically finger grooved but these are just soft rubber and quite nice to the touch. All in all I love the little 45 Colt.

· Registered
389 Posts
N3rday- Your stats are based on the Marshall/Sanow research which is interesting, but the results have been questioned by many other researchers because of the way they collected the data.

That being said, if you place the bullet properly, .357, .44 and .45 will all kill you just as dead, just as quickly.

· Registered
413 Posts
Re: Re: Just my 2 cents y'all

sendtoscott said:
But that's the 44mag and not the 44 special, isn't it?
Correct. I highly doubt the CorBon .44 Special or the Blazer Gold Dot are going to give excessive penetration.

I personally like .357 a lot and that's what I keep as a house gun (Ruger SS Security Six). But that gun has a six inch barrel. I carried a S&W 640 with the same Federal 125 grain magnums for a couple years. I like that gun a lot and can hit at distance very well with it. But you are still talking about a barrel that is only fractions over 2 inches. It's way more than a .38 Special but it isn't the same load I get out of a six inch barrel. (Plus you get massive flash and blast.) So I decided that if I was only going to get five shots and they were going to come out of a snubbie, I would rather have larger diameter to make up for some velocity loss. So I've got three short .44 Specials now. A S&W M296 with CorBons is what currently is riding along with me wherever I go. Heck of a gun. Better get a good grip before you light one of those CorBons off! But it can be fired fast and accurately once you get used to it. The Rossi 720 or S&W 696 are much easier to control and enjoy shooting. But they weigh more.

Gregg

· Registered
23 Posts
Damn, flamed

I'll try to see where I dug up those statistics, I have them on my favorites on our good comp downstairs, but its kinda late and everyones asleep. I THINK .44 special was included in the report. Anyway, although all bullets kill, if I ever needed to defend myself using anything less powerful than a .40 I would play it safe and double tap.

All I know is is that the .357 magnum 125 grain jacketed hollowpoint is the round i would bet my life on, hands down, if only it was available in some autoloaders (Besides the Desert Eagle, don't get me wrong).

Sorry to dissapoint, .357 sig wasn't included, it being a new round and all. From what I've heard, its just a 9mm head with a longer case and a really high velocity. Secret Service uses P229s in .357 sig I believe.

However, I'm sold to the 1911...That is an awesome gun and its almost 100 years old. Can you imagine bad guys in movies using Lugers instead of 1911s and D Eagles? UGLY! You need something that looks stunning, like a good pimped out 1911. BTW I think the bad guy from Charlie's Angels 2 had a luger, he spit like 25 rounds outta that mother...ugly ass gun, disgrace to the 9mm. But the evil chick has some nice gold DEs...

Anyway, just out of curiosity...Which (in your opinions) is better...Colt 1911s or Springfield Armory's? Also, whats a good quality CHEAP 1911? Hate to flame the really expensive 1911 dealers, but y'all need to get over yourselves, you just copied a 100 year old gun, I'm not payin an extra $500 for crap I don't need!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.