1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just started testing some new IPSC loads and im wondering what everybody is using for OAL's. i just tried 4gr titegroup with 230gr LRN with and OAL of 1.200, which is what the website gives you for a starting load, and im getting FTF's. everybody ive talked to said to make it longer but im curious what everybody is using? im thinking of trying 1.240 or 1.250. any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I use 1.240"; My P14-45 feeds them well, but chokes on longer cartridges, so I load to a length that I can use in any of my .45 autos.

It's interesting to measure the OAL of factory ammunition. In my experience, all factory stuff is quite a bit shorter than the SAAMI max of 1.275".

·
Registered
812 Posts
2 Kimbers, 2 Paras, 2 Colts, a S&W and a Norinco. C.O.A.L. that works (any bullet profile) in all of them is 1.23-1.25"

·
Registered
496 Posts
I load my round noses at 1.255-1.260. Feeds well in both of my 1911s.

BTW a Titegroup loading of 4.3 is a super soft and very accurate target round, that will cycle very reliabley.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Not all RN bullets have the same profile/ogive, so you may need to experiment to find the best length for your gun and magazine.

Some of my guns will run fine with ammo out to 1.260"+ and in others, the bullet will contact the rifling or won't quite fit the mag (Para/MecGar mags) when they're out that long.

I've settled on 1.245" + or - so it will work in any of my guns at any given time.

I keep a little margarine tub of different dummy rounds with various bullets loaded to different lengths for whenever I want to hand cycle/function check a particular gun before I load up any ammo for it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I think, actually for a quick fix, if you have some factory or previously loaded rounds that feed well and have a fairly close profile, just measure one of those, and set your seater to that length. Loading 200g SWC's right now, at 1.244 OAL, and may be shortening these up as I am also working up a couple USPSA loads. 1.254 seemed like the bullet was hitting the top of the chamber before the mag released completely, so shortening till they run here.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hmm, i just tested 50 at 1.245 and they were 100%. so i loaded 150rds and i have a match tomorrow so we'll see how they do...

·
Registered
318 Posts
I load the longest thing that will fit in the magazine without exposing the lube groove. Hasn't caused any problems so far and it means less fiddling.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Im to lazy to look up what OAL i use. I make mine as long as I can... As long as my pistol and magazine will feed them. I may be wrong but the longer they are the more accurate they may be....

·
Registered
496 Posts
hmm, i just tested 50 at 1.245 and they were 100%. so i loaded 150rds and i have a match tomorrow so we'll see how they do...
Good luck on your match!!

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Yes plus one on that.. Let us know how the match goes and how those loads work out..

·
Registered
191 Posts
Waiting for match results. :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ah now a little pressure for the match tomorrow, lol. we'll see how i do, theres not many of us single stackers where i shoot, usually 4 or 5 but its still a lot of fun... i love the look on the open guys faces when they talk about how i can only carry 8 rds... then when i say "ya like a 1911 was supposed to be shot" haha im old school and love it. i'll put the results up after the match....

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok here it is, i placed 3rd in single stack and the gun was 100% with the new loads!!! so it was a good day! the rounds all fed fired and were plenty accurate if i did my part (we had one stage that was targets at 105 ft). so for those interested that load works great!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts