1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We live in CA and a 9mm from wilson is not on the approved list.. We are picking up our CQB 45 tomorrow... Wilson will convert it to 9mm... Take a look at her and you would never think she even knew what a handgun was non the less bought one and wants to learn to shoot it correctly. I have a Bear TRS, she shot it twice and was not comfortable with it. She rented a Springfield 9 and really liked it. My question is the 45 something she could grow into or would that just spoil her interest in the sport, that I really do not want to happen.

Merlinn

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think she should begin with the 9MM, it has less recoil. Once she get used to the MM let her try a few 45 and see what happens. My wife doesn't like the 45, she is afraid of it, too much power she said!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a Bear TRS, she shot it twice and was not comfortable with it. She rented a Springfield 9 and really liked it. My question is the 45 something she could grow into or would that just spoil her interest in the sport, that I really do not want to happen.

Merlinn
If she likes the 9 that would the way to go. Waiting for her to "like" the 45 could make her loose interest. My .02

·
Registered
613 Posts
Take her to the range and rent a single action 9mm. I took my mom 54 years old and 5'7 and 125lbs and my ex-gf (similar build) on seperate occassions (not at the same time) to the range and neither had shot a gun. I started them on a .22 and they shot about 100 rounds each. I handed my mom my 9mm BHP and she shot 3 rounds and set it down and wouldn't shoot it again. My ex-gf 1 round. Don't ask me why. So I handed my mom my 1911 .45 and she proceeded to shoot 100 rounds only stopping to load magazines. Then she tells me, here you shoot, my arms are starting to get tired. My ex-gf was the SAME but about 50 rounds. Neither liked the 9mm. I even handed it back to them again after shooting the 1911 and again both didn't like the feel or way it recoiled.

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
I've had better luck teaching women on a .45. The recoil is more of a "push" than a "punch" of a hot 9mm.

·
Registered
159 Posts
For the cost of refitting the Wilson, you could probably buy a Browning Hi-Power.

What is it about the 45ACP she finds objectionable? Is it the muzzle blast? Recoil? What?

Some softer 45ACP loads would ease her into shooting it. If she was shooting WWB 9mm out of a 1911, she needs to shoot the same "low power/light recoil" load out of a 45ACP. Wally-World Winchester White Box 9mm is pretty soft.

http://www.cumberlandtactics.com/schedule.htm

Randy Cain is heading your way next week. ;)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Today we will give it a go at Reeds indoor range. I think they have thin grips which may give her a better feel.

I run Federal ball 230 what else would be a good start for her???

I think at first the muzzle blast and sound were the main culprits.

I really hope it works, we will give it 150-200 today and see what that yields..

Thanks merlinn

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have never shot 40S&W so I have nothing to compare. Maybe we should rent one???? How is the recoil when compared to a 45??

Merlinn

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
My buddy's .40 kicks noticeably harder than any of my .45's.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
+1 on 9mm. Try a lightly loaded 45 later and then ball but most of them will not like any kind of top rated defensive ammo in 45 ACP. 9 milly is the way to go for them. Nasty recoil or flash or you trying to impose it on them will quickly eliminate their interest.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I've had better luck teaching women on a .45. The recoil is more of a "push" than a "punch" of a hot 9mm.
Same experience here....just that a full size 1911 seemed to be just a tad more than she wanted but the CQB Compact was perfect.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I have never shot 40S&W so I have nothing to compare. Maybe we should rent one???? How is the recoil when compared to a 45??

Merlinn
The 40 is "sharp and snappy"...the recoil velocity is higher with the 40, but the recoil energy of the two are very similar.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK.. Reeds was crowded, someone shooting for the first time with a 44 mag and most lanes full... not a good start.... single silhouette target 10 yards... first shot dead center in the red followed by 4 more... big smile yahoo!! Blew my mind 5 silhouette target same thing. So far so good.. actually really good.. this keeps up she will blow me in the weeds.. now when she says "if you ....... I'll shoot your ass" I had better worry!!!

Merlinn

·
Registered
159 Posts
If she is shooting like that already, spend the money to send her to Randy's class. She will learn a lot and come back with a huge amount of skill.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you have a way that she can shoot a 9mm and a 45 let her decide for herself which one she likes.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My wife and daughter both shoot and carry .45. They prefer the push of the .45 over the sharp recoil of the 9mm. Son feels same way. :)
Jeff

1 - 20 of 22 Posts