1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey im looking into getting my 1st 1911...
since kahr has bought out auto ord..and i read that in the future, their .45s could be near kimber quality i am considering these
as wlel as springfields milspec and charles daily...what do u all know about these?

·
Administrator
72,095 Posts
The old Auto-Ordinance 1911-A1s were a total insult to the memory of John M. Browning. Had they built them like that back in 1911 poor John would've ended up a destitute, broken old man.

Word has it that Kahr has kicked some butt at the AO plant and actually spent money to replace old dull tooling, something that I doubt the "old" AO ever did if the looks of their guns were any indication. But the fact remains that AO/Kahr 1911-A1s are made using investment cast frames and slides, so if you can afford it a Springfield would be a better low-cost choice, IMHO.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
332 Posts
try going with the springfield milspec. good quality, good rep, close resemblence to the 1911 of jmb's mind. oh yeah, the warranty is pretty good.

------------------
Nothing like the smell of Breakfree to make my day complete.

·
Registered
89 Posts
isi07734. It looks as though dsk got the jump on me for this reply. To avoid a flame war here I suggest you access the archive section on this site concerning 1911 selection. Best of luck, Teal Blue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey guys, thanks for the reply all were a great help, wasnt even aware of the archives...or the frame and slide on the Kahr, i wonder if they will change that eventually..that would explain why they go for about 460$ huh? anyknow know anything about charles dailys?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I've never owned one, but from my readings in this forum, I would say that, overall, the consensus is, leave Charles Daly alone.

On the other hand, Colt, Springfield, and Kimber all offer good, solid, sub-$1000 choices for a first 1911. Then, when the bug has you firmly in it's grasp, you can start looking at the $2000-$3000 guns.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Regardless of what others might say, I own 2 Charles Daly 1911's and both are great guns. I can shoot as good or better than my buddies "tuned" Kimber.

Biggest difference is I payed half of what he payed.

Just check out all the 1911s that interest you and buy the one you like.

Last time I saw the Auto Ordanance 1911, I was put off by it(that was about 2 months ago).

my 2 cents...

·
Registered
54 Posts
My first 1911 was a Springfield. (It was stolen when my apartment was broken into several years ago.) My only problem with it was that I was getting stovepipe malfunctions (2 per box of ammo). After a gunsmith did some 'reliability' work (polish ramp, throat the barrel, ejector, etc.) that problem went away.

I originally went to the gun dealer thinking that Colt made THE one and only 1911. When the Springfield was suggested, I decided to go with it. I wouldn't have parted with that gun for anything. It was a joy to shoot.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kahr wrote me:
"We are using brand new computerized machinery to produce all the critical
major parts such as the frame, slide, sear, etc.
We using higher quality and stronger recoil springs and much better quality
magazines.
This results in a more reliable and accurate firearm.

Frank Harris
Sales & Marketing"

robb-for some reason i am under the impression that colt isnt as good as the others, am i wrong?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Not trying to steal Robb's thunder, but yes, Colt's quality and reliability is as good as anyone else's. As long as you stay with the big three (Colt, Kimber and Springfield) you'll be OK. All three make quality products, and all three puke forth a clunker from time to time. I'm definitely nottrying to slight Khar by leaving them out of the big name 1911 makers. I just feel that the jury is still out since their recent takeover of AO. Bottom line; stick to the big three and buy what pleases your eye and feels right in your hand.-TR

·
Administrator
72,095 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts