1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a really clean M 1991 A1 I'd like to use for 45 super. Ace 45's has a kit to
upgrade your gun to shoot 45 super for $350. Yet, in their FAQ section they claim any standard 1911 can fire the round without damage, but with repeated
firing, the gun frame and slide can become battered. Has anyone here beefed up their gun to shoot the "hot" 45 super cartridge?

What I was going to do is my standard Delta Elite mods:EGW Square cornered FPS, Heavy Duty Firing pin spring, 25lb hammer spring, FLGR with a Wolff 25Lb recoil spring and shok buff for starters. (for 45 super, I use a #20 in the Deltas) Any other suggestions?

John

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,297 Posts
I helped a buddy convert his Kimber to Super, and I did just what you've planned; applied my "Delta package". I started with a 24# recoil spring, but with mid-range Super loads ([email protected]), we could have dropped it to 20#. I definitely think the FPS and mainspring are more important than the recoil spring.
Don't know that it's necessary, but I made a "super mag", by putting a 10-round mag spring in an 8-round tube. 8-round mags have weaker springs than 7-rounders, so I thought perhaps the former would not be able to keep up with the faster-moving slide, if really heavy recoil springs are used. The modded mag worked great, and might give a bit more reliability with heavy loads.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rick for the info. I'll start with a 24 lb spring, initially, I found out people
were JUST using a #28 lb spring and a HD firing pin spring.

I too like using a 25lb mainspring and square cut FPS, it really slows that slide, and I find no ill effects with trigger pull. With a 20lb mainspring in the Delta, my brass drops, in a 2'-4' radius.

I've used up to a 22lb spring in a Delta with no feeding issues, if I have trouble, I'll try your spring trick.

JOHN

·
Registered
14,937 Posts
If you happen to have an old G21 laying around, you can shoot all the .45 Super you'd like through it by just installing a heavier recoil spring.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,297 Posts
Some say the same thing about the 1911. :eek:

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
I'd look at the firing pin fit in the breech face.

I'd look at the firing pin fit in the breech face. I suppose the heavier firing pin spring would avoid firing pin drag on the abrupt slide movement. Likely enough no other issues but a good fit might prevent eventual primer flow or piercing which of couse would eventually give gas cutting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts