1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anybody here shooting 45 Super in their 45 ACP Mech-Tech carbines? I am thinking of using mine for close in pig hunting (maybe to 50 yds and not monster pigs) and would like to have a little extra velocity for a 250 or 255gr bullet. Wondering if anyone is running on super ammo without problems.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Try contacting Mechtech... but I'm sure what the response will be. (DON'T DO IT).

I own a .460 Rowland version and shoot .45ACP, .45 Super, and .460 Rowland through it... can definitely tell the difference between the rounds. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for response

I contacted Mechtech twice. First time asking if it was ok to shoot hot 45acp loads. They said anything I can shoot in my pistol can be shot in the carbine. I later contacted them with question about 45 super and they did said no. My question now is, if it is safe to shoot 45 super in my pistol with only recoil and firing pin spring changes why wouldn't it be safe in the Mechtech too? Are they only worried about product liability or would it really be unsafe to go with a moderate super load. That is why I posted the question to a broad shooting group in case someone has already done it.
Thanks

·
Registered
812 Posts
I'll assume they're trying to protect themselves from liability.

While the .45auto and Super share the same case length, the Rowland is slightly longer. I suspect that they aren't as concerned about shooting .45 auto out of their product, but the higher pressure and shorter case length (as compared to the rowland) of the 45 super, concerns them and their lawyers.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Most carbines are likely only straight blowbacks....

I'd not want a residual blast of leftover 35,000 PSI pressure in the cheek/face when bolt opens....

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
somewhere in here

Got a pic of friend's all-blowed-up Mech-Boing.
But his was in 40 S&W and running a Glock bottom.....

I recall them when they weren't yet offered; still cool boing.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I own a .460 Rowland version and shoot .45ACP, .45 Super, and .460 Rowland through it.

While the .45auto and Super share the same case length, the Rowland is slightly longer.
Curious. The .45 ACP headspaces on the case mouth, and you are shooting
it in a gun chambered for a longer cartridge, the .460 Rowland. I'm surprised that works.

Joe

·
Registered
14,936 Posts
While it's true that .45ACP is supposed to headspace on the case mouth, the reality is that it generally headspaces on the extractor first, then the case mouth, if the case is long enough to provide proper headspacing. .45ACP cases shrink when reloaded, so they very quickly don't "reach" the cut in the chamber, upon which they're supposed to headspace.

One of the most popular internet legends is that .357Sig headspaces on the case mouth, as opposed to the shoulder, like EVERY OTHER bottleneck. When you're setting up your .357Sig sizing die, you're setting it up to bump the shoulder for proper headspace, just like EVERY OTHER bottleneck!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Curious. The .45 ACP headspaces on the case mouth, and you are shooting
it in a gun chambered for a longer cartridge, the .460 Rowland. I'm surprised that works.

Joe
Good point... same reasoning why I would avoid shooting 45 super (although I have done this) through it.

Yep... works fine. I asked them of this when I was making my phone purchase.

I put over 1000 rds of .45 auto through mine before I was able to shoot any 460Rowlands through her (lack of brass availability). There is definitely a distinctive "boing" when shooting .45auto, not as noticeable when shooting .460s

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
"If it ain't belt-fed it ain't $hit"

Since I abhor 'long guns', I was pleasantly surprised when a 'Beta'-Tech showed up.

Shooting it with its 'boing' just plain tickled the crap right outta me, and I've enjoyed shooting them ever since......

But I've seen/touched that blowed-up 40 Glock one, and 'know of' two more that blowed up.

Suggest fault lay with the handloads......

I really like the 'boing' LOL.

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
why the fuss??

just guessing here, but my ******* ammo eater ( that is, MechTech 45)
does just great with 45, um... +p.. well, it would be +p in a pistol, and
according to the manuals....

also, with the elongated 1911 barrel ( ok, maybe 16" isnt an 1911 barrel..)
:biglaugh:

your velocity is gonna climb alittle bit as is...

I would imagine a 250-ish bullet at PUBLISHED 850fps for a semi-pistol
would give you what you need for that swine problem you have ...

And, you wouldnt have to worry about the extra BANG of the machine
coming apart in your hands/face....

( now that I think of it... might want to try that....... )

the load that is, not the machine going bank part....

·
Registered
14,936 Posts
Could be that their carbine upper isn't as strong as your pistol's upper. :)

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
While it's true that .45ACP is supposed to headspace on the case mouth, the reality is that it generally headspaces on the extractor first, then the case mouth, if the case is long enough to provide proper headspacing. .45ACP cases shrink when reloaded, so they very quickly don't "reach" the cut in the chamber, upon which they're supposed to headspace.
Walter, it has been 9 months since you shared this wisdom. It is one of
the most important things I've learned in the last year. Thanks again!

Joe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts