1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
9,194 Posts
.45 Super in a 1911.....

IMHO, any 1911 that shoots the .45super cartridge that throws the cases 10 ft. from the shooter, seems excessive. A gun that throws the brass 10 feet away in ANY 1911, in any caliber, is more often than not, exhibiting excessive slide velocity. A 1911 shooter that uses a caliber of ammo that creates excessive slide velocity means the slide slam shut harder than necessary when the gun cycles. Often times, this will cause problems with sight tracking, and when the slide slams shut, the muzzle may dip. When firing fast controlled pairs, if the second shot is 4-6" lower than the first shot, the muzzle may be dipping from the slide slamming closed. If it was my 1911 gun, I would increase the main spring to a 26# or possibly heavier to reduce the slide velocity to a more acceptable level. I built a 1911 Commander in .38 super, and the hot reloads I made for the gun was causing the brass to eject about 8-9ft. away. I ended up using a 26# mainspring, and the gun functioned very well and the brass ejected in the 4-6ft. range. The amount of energy required to cock the hammer of a 1911 with a heavier mainspring will effectively reduce the slide velocity.....however there are many variables that affect slide velocity, such as how tight the gun locks up, how tight the slide fit, using a flat firing pin stop plate, etc. But I honestly believe any 1911, (which uses the "short recoil system") would be benefitted by a slide velocity that ejects the cases no more than 4-6 feet...… Using a polymer recoil shock buffer should not be necessary with lower slide velocity, and recoil buffers may tear and cause the gun to jam.....I used them in USPSA competition and found this out the hard way! :) I would not use a shock buff for a self defense gun.....

· Registered
9,194 Posts
.45 super in a 1911

Although the .45 super is a nice idea, l do not want the hassle of having to keep track of the nearly identical cases of .45 super vs. .45acp cases. I have and shoot several 1911 guns in .45acp, and my worst fear would be to accidently load a hot .45super reload in a standard pressure .45acp case......the end result may be catastrophic for my gun and hands....:eek:

I have no need for a very stout recoiling .45super load......it would be interesting as a hunting load, but I no longer hunt. When I did hunt, it was for putting meat in the freezer, so I always used a very accurate rifle, and had a 44 mag holstered on my hip.

I know my .38 super +P+ reloads in my STI 2011 Commander work very well, and produce over 500 ft.lbs. of energy at the muzzle.....it is like shooting a low end .357 magnum round, but has considerably less muzzle flip compared to shooting a revolver. I like the idea of the .45super, but don't want the hassle of keeping the brass properly sorted with the near identical .45acp brass.....to each their own! :)

· Registered
9,194 Posts
WalterGC posts.....

One of his posts on this thread.....

I love the babble of the ignorant proletariat!
Note he likes to use the word proletariat....which means a "working class person, generally a laborer." He has used the word "proletariat" in many instances on this Forum. His comments are usually negative if he doesn't agree with the post, nor does he ever defend his derisive comments.

He is more of a troll on this Forum, looking to create controversy......I do not remember his posts contributing to any positive purpose.....:( His comments about the low standard of hiring law enforcement officers is ridiculous......I know in Florida there is thorough testing, thorough training, and thorough background checks.....and I would assume they do the same in Georgia, which is Walter's home state.....I was in law enforcement, a former Deputy Sheriff in the Orlando area, and have the greatest respect for LE officers and the work they do......

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.