1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a .45 Super? I've seen it mentioned recently in magazine articles and need some background. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
22 Posts
The SUPER 45 is like a 45 Magnum cartridge. Some 45s can shoot the super, some can't.Check out the HKs if you want to get a 45 that will handle both.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'd suggest taking a look at the Springfield V16 Long Slide in 45 ACP/45 Super. It's the only factory gun I'm aware of. It's a classic 1911, ported barrel. I only wish it was in the same stainless finish as the tropy match model...

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
The 45 Super as a cartridge is pretty much in a state of limbo because of copyright or patent issues and licensing. Triton Ammo (http://www.tritonammo.com/) is making an equivalent cartridge called the 450 SMC.

STI International (http://www.stiguns.com) offers several models for the 450 SMC.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it a new cartridge with different dimensions than .45 ACP? Or is it a high pressure version of the old war horse? Several ads I've seen imply you can shoot either cartridge in the same gun. Is this true?

·
Registered
152 Posts
The Super is physically the same size as the 45 ACP but it uses cases cut down (or custom made) that are thicker and heavier in order to withstand much higher pressures. The complete conversion includes a barrel with a fully supported chamber (the bottom of the case will be blown out if fired in the usual unsupported chamber), heavier recoil springs, a new firing pin, and the ejection port must be enlarged because the slide moves so fast with this much recoil energy that jams occur without making the window bigger. I suspect that regular 45 ammo could be used in a converted gun by changing back to the normal recoil spring, but I am not positive as the firing pin may not work. Anyway, never even think about firing Super ammo in a normal 1911.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.