1911Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it feasable to convert a 45 govt. model to 10mm? I ask because I saw a Kimber Stainless Target, series one, coming into price range and concider these 'frame/slide kits'. No offence. Just wondering.

·
Registered
462 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, you can use the 45 ACP frame, but the slide and barrel (the top end) have to go. You'll need a 10mm barrel and slide. This will make your endeavor very expensive.

Others feel free to chime in...

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
585 Posts
It is less than ideal to use a 45 frame for 10mm as the 10mm ramp is much shallower.

In addtion to a complete top end (specifically the slide, barrel, bushing, recoil spring, extractor, firing pin), you need a different ejector and should use a heavier mainspring.

·
Registered
125 Posts
why make it hard on yourself?

a .400 CORBON conversion is pretty easy, all you do is fit the new barrel, and make sure your spring is 18# or stronger, and you are good to go. same slide, same magazines, etc.

fyi .400 corbon is a .45acp case necked down to 10mm, ballistics are pretty much the same, and once you've done it you can swap back and forth merely by changing barrels and springs.

·
Registered
15,012 Posts
Depends on which factory you're talking about. McNett, of DoublTap, is selling 135gr. 10mm loads that he says he's getting 1780fps or so out of a six-inch barrel. I wouldn't push a .400 Cor-bon that fast, but the factory load for a 135gr. .40 Super is 1800 fps. (But there are no more factories that load .40 Super, as far as I know.)

I've shot over 10,000 .400 Cor-Bons and over 3000 .40 Supers. All of the .40 Supers and most of the .400 Cor-Bons were shot through a G21. However, I do have a threaded, compensated Accu-Match .400 Cor-Bon conversion barrel for my 70 Series Gold Cup. With the comp attached, it's about like shooting a 9mm.

While it's true that one can form .400 Cor-Bon cases from .45ACP brass, the preferred brass for forming .400 Cor-Bon is .45ACP +p brass. Additionally, factory .400 Cor-Bon brass (manufactured by Starline) changed over to small primer pockets several years ago. All of my .400 Cor-Bon brass uses large primers.

Like any other handgun bottleneck, be sure and use slow powders, particularly if you're using heavy bullets. See the photo below for a demo of a heavy bullet with a fast powder and a feedramp setback.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Nice barrel Walter :eek:

I'm doing that very swap right now. Using a Caspian .45 frame, the 10mm barrel fits the ramp just perfect... I checked this before I preceded with everything else. I'm almost finished, all I lack is ammo to go test fire... I haven't got the sights installed yet but I can still give it a function test.

·
Registered
15,012 Posts
Jeff,

This might relate to your 10mm conversion. I'm currently playing around with a comp'd KKM 10mm G21 conversion barrel. Since the G20 (10mm) extractor won't work, I'm trying to modify the two versions of the G21 .45ACP extractor to work with the 10mm cases. Still not getting 100% extraction. Might be an easier conversion in a 1911.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
WalterGC said:
Jeff,

This might relate to your 10mm conversion. I'm currently playing around with a comp'd KKM 10mm G21 conversion barrel. Since the G20 (10mm) extractor won't work, I'm trying to modify the two versions of the G21 .45ACP extractor to work with the 10mm cases. Still not getting 100% extraction. Might be an easier conversion in a 1911.
I bought an Ed Brown extractor in .40/10mm for my 10mm experiment. It looks similar to the 45 extractor but relieved up front so the hook reaches closer to centerline. I think I could've done the same with a .45 extractor... maybe...

I still haven't bought any 10mm ammo yet :eek: but I've got bullets and loading dies... Going with the Lee FCD this time ;).

·
Registered
15,012 Posts
Sure wish I'd just waited for a deal on a G20 upper! I'm amazed at myself sometimes, at how much $$ I spend on "special" projects. Yeah, I bought the Lee four-die set that includes the FCD. I'm using a Dillon 650, and the reloading part of the project is fine.

W.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Finished my 10mm project and made my first trip to the range :rock:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/JeffCsr/81b7d7c8.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/JeffCsr/IM001137.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/JeffCsr/925fb870.jpg

Sorry the pics suck but I haven't polished and "finished" the exterior of the gun yet... still needs to be "cleaned up".

I shot a box of Remington and a half box of Federals.... I'm happy with the way it turned out.

I'll do a range report with better pics soon.

edited: link to range report
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=130506

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.