1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does someone out there have a box of factory 230gr ball ammo that they can measure the OAL of a round?

I've always reloaded my ball ammo to 1.260, and that always seemed like it was short to me. I read here that people load them much shorter than that with ball ammo.

I'm just curious to know what OAL factory ammo is loaded too.

Also, what effect does OAL have on measured velocity? I'm looking for actual data here. For instance, if a load of 5.6gr Universal is listed in a manual to give 800fps at 1.250OAL, what will the velocity be at 1.260 (i've just picked a random powder and velocity)? I have no chronograph otherwise I'd figure it out myself.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
229 Posts
Speer Lawman 230 Gr RN = 1.265
Winchester White Box 230 Gr RN = 1.265

Hornady Factory 230 Gr XTP = 1.225

That's all the factory 45 I have on hand.

I don't have any actual data on velocity spread due to variation on OAL, but I have seen accuracy differences out of my guns with 0.010 differences in OAL. I think it has to do with the bullet fit in the chamber and how it hits the rifleing. It's been enough at 25 yards that I was actually surprised.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Brian, I measured 10 rounds of American Eagle (Federal) 230gr FMJ. Average was 1.2648". Longest was 1.2660" and shortest was 1.2638". Fourth decimal place is an estimate between marks on my caliper.

FWIW, I load 230gr plated or FMJ round nose to 1.268 - 1.271". I load them to be as long as possible and still fit inside a magazine.

As I understand jhaake's post, he was referring to the distance between bearing surface of bullet and rifling as a variable. The amount of bearing surface of the bullet inside the case might also be a variable with a given bullet. This would affect volume and therefore pressure.

Edit: Not to highjack the thread, but get into some serious hint-dropping/lobbying/negotiation with Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Birthday Claus or who ever for a chronograph. You sound like the type who likes to experiment. You'd love a chrono. I've got a PACT PC2, which is absolutely the neatest thing since a pocket on a shirt. The processor is remote from the screens, which is good because I've put a couple of rounds through the little plastic jobby at the bottom of the screens. They are cheap to replace.

·
Registered
15,317 Posts
SAD TRUTH

As always, testing in YOUR gun required.

Normally, but NOT always, going 'shorter' increases pressure, and thereby velocity, slightly.

With 230g 'ball' I prefer an OAL in the 1.250"-range.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I use an OAL of 1.275" for my .45ACP 230 grain "ball" loads. They feed and function fine in all of my various gun chambered for that caliber.

I don't keep much factory ammo on hand, however my Winchester white box OAL seems to be 1.264" according to my calipers.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I load 45 ACP to 1.25 too. All bullet styles, between that and LEE factory crimp dies, I no longer have any difficulties with FTF in anything. Besides, it's easy to remember 1.25... ==Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts